Thread: Any good suggestions on a good solo mandola piece?

Default Any good suggestions on a good solo mandola piece?

I'm nearing completion of an H-4 mandola build. Had it strung up in the white and it sounded awesome- smooth and deep, and I installed a Virzi that I believe is adding richness to the tone.

So I want to show it off at it's best, and looking for suggestions on a good slow, romatic solo piece at an intermediate or higher level that will display it's depth. Maybe a chord-solo or other slower piece that's more than single notes.

Any good suggestions? Tab would be wonderful if available. I'll be posting pics in about a month when the finish is done.
    "If you hit a wrong note, then make it right by what you play afterwards." - Joe Pass

Default Re: Any good suggestions on a good solo mandola piece?

The soprano and alto lines from J.S. Bach's harmonization of "O Sacred Head Now Wounded" sit nicely on the mandola almost exactly as written. I did have to revoice just a couple of chords.

Here it is transposed up to G for mandolin. Of course, you can ignore the notation and just play the tab on the mandola, and you'll be back in the original key of C.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?89564
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Scott T does a nice job demo-ing this mandola at Mandolin Brothers last July. He plays "Ain't Misbehavin'" in chord melody which sounds quite nice here starting around 1:35.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

they don't make em like they used to

nice pickin Scott

Thanks-- two great suggestions... tab in hand, I'll start with Bach! Hope to post a sound clip in a month or so, once the finish is dry so I can put it together. cheers
    "If you hit a wrong note, then make it right by what you play afterwards." - Joe Pass