Thread: The Last Master Model from Gibson?

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Default The Last Master Model from Gibson?

This video was posted today. Great looking/sounding MM. But he comments on how it's the last master model out of Gibson. I'm hoping it a "for now" comment.

Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Default Re: The Last Master Model from Gibson?

Adam did not mean it was the last one they will ever make, he meant it was the last one that we received at The Mandolin Store..........which was 2012 by the way as none have been produced in 2013. Currently Gibson is only producing the Sam Bush, Fern, F5G, and F9. I'm sure we will see other popular models at some point again in the future. We have being begging for the Goldrush, Master Model - Varnish, and our custom F5G's. I talk to Dave Harvey almost every week about mandolin production. This particular instrument is actually a lacquer Master Model Fern. I thought about keeping it, but then I remembered that selling instruments is what we're supposed to do at a retail store - LOL!
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Mandolin Store For This Useful Post:

Gibson mandolin production today is what it was in the 50's. I remember the old timers saying in the 60's "why them new Gibson F5's are scarce as hen's teeth". From 1922 to 1970 the F5 was a custom ordered instrument meaning it was not made as a stock item for dealers. A dealer could order one for store inventory but generally they were special order from the dealer who got a deposit from a buyer. Dealers did not like to be sitting on high end models as wall hangers as some States charge an "inventory tax" for year end inventory.

I wonder why Gibson doesn`t make a "Master Model" A model mandolin...A`s are easier to make and they sound just as good also and probably would sell quickly...something to think about, I guess the A-9 was their last A model wasn`t it?...

Willie

Lotta pick-click on that puppy.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evanreilly View Post
    Lotta pick-click on that puppy.
    Glad you made that observation...my only saving grace with knowing that I'll never be able to afford to buy a Loar is this:
    My playing style inhibits me from playing any mandolin with the scoop fingerboard extension...those things drive me crazy.
    I can't play my friend's F5 or any other brand with that scoop deal. I totally accept that I'm just perhaps a "funky" player or limited in my picking skills, but for me when I start looking at acquiring a Gibson, I start with the F9 model (affordable now vs a Sam Bush for example)

Anyway I could never own/play a Loar, as I'd have to have it mutilated (scoop cut off) to make it playable for me!
    Last edited by DataNick; Aug-02-2013 at 4:45pm. Reason: mis-spelling
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Even through my computer speakers, that's seems to be a really great sounding mando.

It is the ONLY one ive ever seen with bound f holes-very cool.

While I don't know if varnish 'brakes in more quickly" as he says (compared to lacquer-bi it is generally thinner by far than lacquer) , but I entirely agree that now that I have a varnish mando, I think I prefer the durability of lacquer.

Imagine that new that's about the same as a used Gil.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    It is the ONLY one ive ever seen with bound f holes-very cool.
    I like bound effholes too...my blond F-5 and Doyle Lawson looked awesome with binding.

I'd like to have it on a MM...if I ever get my student loans paid off

then youll want a house and car and wife,

may be a long time, LOL

I'm 49 and retired military.....already have all that and 2 ex wives

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phiddlepicker For This Useful Post:

When Dave Apollon was designing his "Custom" Red Sunburst F5 in 1962 he had the F holes bound in the white binding. Pretty cool looking. I like it on the DL models too. Makes that model really stand out from the others.

14. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

In the '90s, Byron Berline told me about Gibson plans to launch a BB-model, blond with bound f-holes. Anybody ever saw one?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    In the '90s, Byron Berline told me about Gibson plans to launch a BB-model, blond with bound f-holes. Anybody ever saw one?
    I had a gibson F-5 Fern, blond with bound effholes....pictures on the "picture of you and your mando thread.

Sold it a couple years ago to pay some bills whenI went back to school (again)

17. The following members say thank you to phiddlepicker for this post: