Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will $2,750 get me the right one the first time?

Default Will $2,750 get me the right one the first time?

I always buy the wrong one the first time! Wrong motorcycle, wrong canoe, wrong outboard motor, camera etc.....you've got the picture. Help me avoid this pattern with my first mandolin. With a $2,750 budget, which f style should I purchase? --I'm thinking Weber.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Default Re: Will $2,750 get me the right one the first time?

what's wrong?

I never discover what's wrong until I own it!

177 members of the Weber fan group on this site. I've heard they are really nice.

Kris
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

I'd buy a Collings with that there money.

Would there be a Northfield in that range?

Are you looking for an f hole or an oval? As others have said many times, check the classifieds here before looking for a new instrument. Your money should go further. Enjoy your hunting.
    Do you have any advice for aspiring fiddlers?
    I wish I had some sort of new advice. It's sort of like losing weight:
    Don't eat so much. --Barbara Lamb

If you dont play it first, it will be the wrong one. It really is that simple.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gottliver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gottliver View Post
    If you dont play it first, it will be the wrong one. It really is that simple.
    Listen to Gottliver.

$2750 can get you into a really nice mandolin, but it sure helps if you know what you want and have time to try several out first.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Check out the Mandolin Store's Lafferty models. I love mine. Sounds great. It has really nice construction and is fun to play.

I'm not sure the first one is ever the right one. Maybe you should get a cheaper instrument, in the $1000 range, probably an A style, that is used and likely to have decent resale value, and then see where to put your money after getting acquainted with mandolins in general? You don't have to spend $2750 to get a good mandolin.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    Listen to Gottliver.

$2750 can get you into a really nice mandolin, but it sure helps if you know what you want and have time to try several out first.
    I third this sentiment...sounds like you got a little dough to play with...go to The Mandolin Store in AZ, play everything on the rack, then make your choice!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    I'm not sure the first one is ever the right one. Maybe you should get a cheaper instrument, in the $1000 range, probably an A style, that is used and likely to have decent resale value, and then see where to put your money after getting acquainted with mandolins in general? You don't have to spend $2750 to get a good mandolin.
    I agree with Marty. My first nice mandolin was a 2003 Gibson A9 that I picked up in the classifieds in 2004 for $900.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Would there be a Northfield in that range?
    Yes. One of the new F5-S. There are a few listed in the classifieds. Probably at the top of my list if I had that kind of budget.

Play it for a while first!!!! Play it, touch it, and play with a LOT so you know what feels and sounds good because you found out what sounds not so good. Play with crappy ones in the store, even if theyre the brands people tell you to avoid so you know WHY. Play REALLY cheap pieces of crap in the store, then play something in your price range. Go back and forth. Get to know what you like and why...

But then youll catch MAS in a couple months like the rest of us and "need" to buy another one, anyway...

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm of the opinion that there's no generic,universally "Right" mandolin. (Loar signed F5 not withstanding). What's right for me may not be right for you.All the names mentioned would be excellent choices, but you see on the Cafe everywhere that a person prefers one of them over the others. Things like the sound, how the neck feels in your hands,heck, even how the headstock inlays are done may make one right for you. What's "Right" is what's right for you. The test-drives on a bunch of mandos of that caliber would sure be a lot of fun! Good luck in your search.
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Bridges For This Useful Post:

Weber makes so many different types of mandolin, surely one of them is wrong for you!

Best of luck!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael H Geimer For This Useful Post:

The trouble with mandolins... There is no wrong one. But so many that are the "right" one. The right one for bluegrass. The right one for Olde Time. The right one for Irish. The right one for classical. The right one for Blues... Get the picture. What genre will you be playin? And if you're like most of us, you will need one mando for the different style of music you want to play

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rodney Riley For This Useful Post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

That amount will buy you a really nice mandolin. As other people have said, the best would be try as many as you can, new or used, and choose the one that you connect with.

Also have to agree with others about test drives. I have purchased 3 Martin guitars. 2 as gifts and one for myself from 2 Guitar Centers. The first one had 4 of the same model I wanted. My son and I spend over an hour playing them. The one we bought was so far above the others in playability and sound. The second we had 5 to test. Same thing with the one we got. So much better than the others. The little Martin we got for my oldest Grandblessing was the same way. Out of 4, the one we have holds its own against the other "real" guitars

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yes you must play many to select one that you like. And just because you want another one later does not make your first purchase wrong. I mean really..... you like more than one kind of something do you not? Not to mention change, your tastes in music for one thing. As different mandolins are better suited to different musics. You have saved enough money to purchase a good quality instrument. One that will encourage you to play and grow as a mandolinist. That's enough for now. Enjoy the process. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Hands down I would go either with a Northfield F5S, or a Nichols Road for another $100 plus shipping, so lets say another $200. $2750 will cover a F5S with shipping, and if you look around you can get a 48 hour trial on a new one. My last mandolin would cost 9K if you bought it today, and I like my F5S as good as I did that one. This opinion is after the old one had been played for 10 years, and the F5S has been played for a few weeks. In the end the F5S will be hands down a better sounding mandolin, or so I think. If I can I'm going to place an order for a Northfield F5M to go along with my S...

I think our question to you should be "Where are you right now in your mandolin journey???"

Are you a beginner?

If so, then you can expect to make a mistake, whatever you choose. There is so much to learn, so many varieties of instruments, style of playing, aesthetic considerations,,, All of which will contribute to your attitude and thinking as you grow... and your thinking will change.... That is a given...

So buy whatever style instrument you like, but don't expect it to be a lifetime choice.

Weber makes fine intstruments, but even within those there are lots of options which may not be important now but likely will be as you gain experience and competence.
    Last edited by bmac; Jun-26-2013 at 8:33am. Reason: speling
    Bart McNeil

29. The following members say thank you to bmac for this post:

And if you "don't" have access to any mandolins locally, then what are you supposed to do? Ironically my first good mandolin (and subsequently the one that was my favorite) was the only one I didnt play, although if you can play them first by all means do so.

Keep your eye open for a used Collings MTII. They are consistently good. They are an A model. To add a scroll in your budget range would seriously decrease the quality of instrument you could purchase.