Thread: What pedal is this?

Default What pedal is this?

Does anyone know what pedal this is? -Thanks

Name:  Screen shot 2013-05-26 at 11.17.30 AM.png
Views: 611
Size:  28.6 KB

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: What pedal is this?

Can you give us a larger, maybe clearer pic? Does it say anything on it?
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

3. The following members say thank you to Tim2723 for this post:

Jim 

I can get a larger pic but that's all you can see. No words are visible. Here is a larger photo.Name:  Screen shot 2013-05-26 at 6.42.36 PM.png
Views: 519
Size:  44.4 KB

Destroyer of Mandolins

It's an odd little thing. It seems to have nothing more than in and out jacks, a foot switch, and an LED. Are there other controls? How are they marked. Can you tell what it does when you stomp it? Often something that simple looking will have one knob on the edge marked GAIN and be a basic boost pedal. It would just give some extra volume for playing lead. With the light off you have rhythm volume, stomp the box for lead volume. One knob to adjust the lead level. I'm not saying that's what it is, but it's probably a basic device like that. Maybe some kind of preamp or filter?

I can see what looks like three labels on the upper edge. Two where the cables go in and something else. What do they say? The white rectangle looks like it says something. Are there any controls on the side where the cables go in? It might be just a small hole with a screw in it, not a knob, or maybe a small sliding switch. Maybe it's just a DC input jack.

There's something vaguely familiar about it, but I can't place it. I know I've seen that concentric circle graphic before.

You could just plug into it and see what it does when you step on the switch. Isolate it from the other effects first. Keep your amp turned way down when you do that.

Sorry for the rambling nature of my post. Just typing things as they come to mind.

Try asking this in the electric mandolin forum near the bottom of the page. Those guys know a lot about pedals. I'll bet somebody recognizes the graphic. Those circles are familiar as heck, but it won't come to me. These things drive me nuts.
    Last edited by Tim2723; May-27-2013 at 6:33am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Thanks Sherlock! I'll be sure to ask em!

Pretty sure that is what Aquaman presses when he has to summon all the fish in the sea to come to his aid

Niceee!

Got it! It's a ProCo "Panic Button" for A/B redirection of a mic signal, like talking to the FOH engineer while muting the main PA. The name of the box is covered with tape, and this is the older version with the red "Vertigo" silkscreen. The current model is just black. Here are some Google images showing the earlier silkscreen:

https://www.google.com/search?q=proc...w=1047&bih=958

And here's the ProCo product page:

http://www.procosound.com/cdpb

I knew I had seen it somewhere before, but I couldn't place it until the new Sweetwater catalog arrived, and when browsing the ProCo pedals, they had an image of the older model on the intro/advertisement page.

P.S. I don't know if this works with condenser mics and phantom power, but their other "Sign Off" model can be used for condensers. It has a 9v battery-powered circuit for switching off without a "Pop!" through the PA. I have one of these that I used in an earlier incarnation of my PA rig.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

Destroyer of Mandolins

ProCo!!! Good job FP!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Yes ProCo "Panic Button" for A/B redirection of a mic signal.