Thread: Replacing Tuning Buttons

Default Replacing Tuning Buttons

After a solid 3 years owning it, one of the tuning buttons on my 2006 Epiphone MM-50 has cracked.

While cruising the internet for a replacement, I came across a dilemma in terms of what kind of tuning button I'm actually looking for. The shaft of the tuning head is round, but flattened on both sides where the button fits on, to allow for increased torque.

Stewmac has "Schaller" style buttons and "Waverly" style buttons. From the picture (which is all i have to go on so far) it seems that the Waverlys are what I'm looking for, but I wanted to be sure.
    And of course, i know that the depth and diameter of the tuning shaft itself factors in. Anyone have advice or good places to look for a selection of tuning buttons?

Default Re: Replacing Tuning Buttons

There aren't that many choices in replacement buttons. I assume yours are held on with a small machine screw, yes? This photo I found at Elderly shows a 2006 Epiphone MM-50 with these tuners:

If these are what you have, those Waverly-style buttons won't really work, and it would be smarter to get a whole better set. A number of good sets will just drop in: Grover, better Gotohs, Stew-Mac Golden Age.

But your description of the shaft makes me believe you have better machines and can replace the bad ones. Might take a bit of fussing, but they'll go on. Are they like these?

The critical thing is whether they have small screws holding each button on.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

They do not have the screws on the ends of the buttons. That headstock picture looks like a perfect match. So that means that "Waverly" style is out? From the look of it, they didn't have the small screw holes. I was also considering a whole new set of machines. My only concern is getting the measurements correct. I'm almost positive that I can't just put on a set made for a Gibson F5. The headstock shape is much different. My trouble is finding out what these measurements actually are. I could of course measure them myself, since I couldn't find any owner's manual or blueprint that specifies the dimensions of the MM-50. An email to Gibson hasn't yielded any success yet.

Your originals are low-end Gotohs. I wouldn't bother trying to fix them. You need worm-over machines of some sort, and the posts are a pretty standard .906" (29/32"), so you have some nice choices, such as Stew-Mac's Golden Age, Grover 309s, and the better Gotohs like I showed above. Beware that the Gotohs come with pearloid buttons; if you fancy ivoroid or black, you'll have to buy them separately.

The headstock I showed above isn't much, if at all, different than a Gibson F-5. Its holes are situated for worm-over F-style machines, they're the modern industry standard, which is why worm-under (reverse) machines won't fit.

Besides which, you either get F-style gears or lump it. Except for a remote possibility of a Gotoh machine, they're not made for different types of F headstocks.

The only one here you can use is the F5v2; that's the mandolin you have.

Your mandolin is not a vintage specialty item, it's pretty standard. And again, make sure you get machines with the worm above the cog, otherwise you'll have trouble.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I would imagine that for a whole lot less money you can call the Epi folks and order a set of replacement buttons. That's what I did for my Washburn. This is from the Epiphone website:
    USA: 1-800-4GIBSON or via email http://www.epiphone.com/Home/Talk-2-Us.aspx

There's certainly nothing to stop you from upgrading the tuning machines. I just wonder if its worth it for this particular mandolin, especially if the tuners themselves seem fine.

Good luck, and good pickin'!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Two things you might be disappointed by. One will be the answer you get from Gibson (Epiphone) as to if they will sell you the tuners, my bet is that they will refer you to Stewmac like they always do and the other will be the price if they actually have tuners, they won't be inexpensive.