Thread: Question about violins

Default Question about violins

Forgive the departure from mandolins but I need some help.
    I have a son in the Marine Corp at Camp Pendleton, CA that would like to try his hand at the violin. I am 1375 miles away so I can not be of much help to him. He won't be able to spend much money on one so I was wondering if anyone new of a good, honest store that might have student grade instruments that will be set up well and ready to play.
    EDIT: Additional information - I have contacted Ken Wise at International Violin but I thought I would see if anyone new of any place local to my son. This would be Camp Pendleton, CA, Oceanside, San Diego area.
    Last edited by Bill Snyder; Jan-20-2012 at 8:59am.
    Bill Snyder

Default Re: Question about violins

Elderly for one! May be shops in your area depending on where you live!

Added to original post.
    Bill Snyder

Blog Entries

San Diego should host a few music stores that offer instruction and rentals of orchestra instruments.

Maybe the San Diego Music Teachers Association can help:

http://www.sandiegomtac.com/index.php
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I am pretty sure Robert from Folkmusician sells violins also Steve Perry from Giana violins also sells them. Hard to beat a Eastman or Scott Cao for the money
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Here's a violinist.com listing of violin shops in CA. Supposedly includes reviews from those who've patronized them. Since Pendleton's about midway between Los Angeles and San Diego, there should be a pretty wide selection...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I picked up a 1970's Mathias Thoma violin off eBay for $48. It plays nicely and sound sweet. A good cheap violin is the way to go until you are sure that you really want to play. Beginning violin players always sound awful so you won't be able to tell the difference.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/4-4-Size-/38...Condition=3000
    --- Fiddlemike

Fiddle: A violin played with attitude
    Banjo: Best with whiskey and a rocking chair
    Mandolin: Let the Madness begin!

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

If looking for a specific "brand", my two cents on a Scott Cao. I've heard many a student instrument and the Cao's seem to be a little nicer at the price point. They do come up used fairly frequently as students will give it a whirl, then unfortunately, quit. I can't help with a California violin shop, though.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemike View Post
    I picked up a 1970's Mathias Thoma violin off eBay for $48. It plays nicely and sound sweet. A good cheap violin is the way to go until you are sure that you really want to play. Beginning violin players always sound awful so you won't be able to tell the difference.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/4-4-Size-/38...Condition=3000
    haha I resemble that remark. my bud and and I joked about my violin this morning. he tried to play it and sounds worse than I do so we blamed it on the poor quality of the violin.. haha xs cargo $60 complete with bow and a nice soft case.

I would be somewhat wary of eBay bargains. Some may be quite fine and others may be junk. Does he have a teacher out there? Esp for violin, I would suggest getting some lessons and have the teacher recommend. Otherwise, another source -- one which we have dealt with for many years is Shar Music. Those beginner instruments are pretty decent for the money and the packages make sense -- he will need a bow and case and prob a few other accessories.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Bill, You did not say how much you are willing to pay. I strongly advise against any violin under $100. ($300 in real terms...)

International Violins, Scott Cao, Eastman are all good choices. But I warn you that there is one heck of a lot of junk out there. And newbies to violins are suckers by the busload.

You already did a smart thing by asking here.

And I saw some other good ideas like go to a violin shop (not a guitar shop). And get help from a violin teacher.

There is more about violin buying on my website. http://juditheisner.com/faq.html

Good luck.

What prompted this thread was that James (my son) emailed about a violin he found on Craigslist for $100 and wanted to know my opinion of it. I grew up playing viola so I am familiar with violin family instruments, but I can not really help him pick an instrument from this distance. I thought that someone here might know a reputable dealer that is somewhat local to the area he is in.
    I have actually planned on building him a violin but given the fact that I have a a few other instruments that I have started and never finished I have just about given up on that idea.
    Bill Snyder

Beware the VSO's. I've also heard good things about Cao's and Eastman's, though I've never played one. The bulk of the Asian built deals on e-bay are suspect to me. Check out the classifieds here, and on fiddle hangout and fiddle forum. Also, most violin students start by renting out instruments. I can see that a shop may be leery of sending a rental fiddle out with a deploying marine. He can set up an allotment to auto pay the rent for him while he tries it out. Can probably set up a rent to own if interested. He's probably already learned stay well away from shops that cater to servicemen; they always did their best to rip me off when I was in.