Thread: Anyone know this guy? (Gagandeep Singh)

Default Anyone know this guy? (Gagandeep Singh)

I was browsing through some music today (listening to some Consider the Source and then went on one of my world music binges for a good hour- Bustan Abraham anyone?)

Anyway- I came across this man:

He's pretty good! As far as I can tell (there are only about 3 videos with him on youtube) it's just him and his tabla player doing some nice free improv, it's got a really nice flavor to it and he has a rather great style in my opinion! (I love the euphoric look on his face when he plays as well.)

I got down to googling him and could hardly find anything- Anyone else know this guy? Or where I can listen to some more of his music? (or music like it, I love finding new groups!)

Default Re: Anyone know this guy? (Gagandeep Singh)

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's free improv even if that's what it sounds like. Could be based on a predetermined raga, as a lot of Indian music is. I don't know enough about it to tell for certain.

Evidently he's a Sikh, whereas all the other Indian mandolinists I can think of are Hindus. Whether that makes a difference in what the music means or how he approaches it, I wouldn't know for sure.

It sounds cool, though!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Anyone know this guy? (Gagandeep Singh)

Nice innovative use of a Breedlove.