Thread: Props for Elderly Instruments

Default Props for Elderly Instruments

A couple of weeks ago, I got a call from Elderly, and was at first puzzled, since I hadn't ordered anything from them in a few months. The nice clerk asked me a few things about my name, address, etc.

Turned out that in 1998 -- many addresses and many mandolins ago -- I had put down $100 to get on the waiting list for a new Sobell mandolin. I'm not sure if they ever got any, but I certainly didn't, and eventually I forgot all about the deposit.

Seems that a used one had come in for sale (already gone, I think); they were going through their files, and came across the record of my deposit. They sent me a check for $100.

How's that for straight shooting! I've recommended Elderly before (as have many others on this forum). I've bought and sold many instruments with them, and have always been impressed with their entire operation.

This latest event further confirms my opinion that they're among the very best businesses that I've every dealt with, and I wanted to share the story.

Best regards,
    Rob

Default Re: Props for Elderly Instruments

Wow - definitely a great story. It also reaffirms my belief that they are top notch to deal with

Having grown up in Lansing, Elderly is great. My sister got her guitar there and it needed some work done years after buying it - they repaired it no questions asked, free of charge. I had no idea growing up that Elderly was so well regarded... it was just our neighborhood guitar shop!

That is a great story. Well done Elderly.

rm

After going to them for almost 40 years and knowing Stan Werbin as he is, this is not a surprise -- it is their way of business. They are the best people who always are fair and honest. Doug in Vermont

I too think Elderly is one of the best stores out there, but I'm not sure what is being praised here.

You gave them $100 towards a mandolin. You never received the mandolin. THIRTEEN YEARS later they gave you your money back. That does not seem too impressive to me.

My credit card company is very happy with Elderly's.
    A "Not Ready for Prime Time" player

Use 'em lots - always happy.
    I go to their site first no matter what I'm looking for.
    Malcolm Grundy from Montreal

A very loyal customer from the UK too. I have found their customer service to be excellent.
    All music is folk music, I ain't never heard no horse sing a song - Louis Armstrong

Blog Entries

Definitely Impressive to me. With the volume of business they do it is amazing that they always have been really great to me in a really individual way, and they instituted this transaction after thirteen years when they easily could have just let it go.

Here's a quick anecdote you might enjoy:
    I saw Jorma Kaukonen and Barry Mitterhoff @ the Ark in Ann Arbor a few weeks ago. (great show, and Barry's Buckeye mandolin sounded great to my ears) At one point between songs and I forget how it came up, but Jorma comment that the crowd was filled with a bunch of 'guitar geeks'. He then reminisced about a nearby gig long ago where Stan Werbin showed up with a car full of wonderful instruments and how he sat there and was literally handing off and grabbing a different guitar almost every song. I thought it was a cool story, and knowing who Stan Werbin is probably helped that.
    Last edited by Paul Merlo; Oct-30-2011 at 10:31pm.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Seems to me there might be a bit of interest due you.

Interest is not the point here; it's integrity. I've known Stan & Co. since he and his then partner started Elderly, and I can tell you that even though I have seen it grow and change physically, it remains home to the same incredibly wonderful family that it's always been.
    ~Bill~
    "Often wrong, but never in doubt."
    --Ivy Baker Priest

One might argue that integrity would involve paying a reasonable rate of interest on money that one had the use of for 12 to 13 years.

I agree with Bill, it's not ALWAYS about the money. It is knowing that even this length of time later someone SAW the opportunity to make something right and they did. I have been a longtime elderly visitor and not once have I left there feeling like I had not been an important customer! That reminds me, I need some strings!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett