Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other instruments/styles you play and why

Default Other instruments/styles you play and why

What kind of instruments can you play and in what styles? I consider myself a guitar player above all. I haven't had one in a few months but especially electric. I did have only a mandolin, but I had to sell that after a failed expedition to California, now all I have is an acoustic guitar that needs EXTENSIVE repairs, I haven't been able to play in weeks. But forget my bad luck, I try to learn from a lot of different styles because of my vast love of differing musics. My favorites include but aren't limited to: bluegrass, classical, blues rock, metal and folk. I am not very good at any style though ._. I especially love the violin/fiddle, I would love to play but the whole fretless thing seems daunting...
    If you have the time, check out my lil new born forum for people who play any instrument with strings! stringsandfrets.freeforums.org

Default Re: Other instruments/styles you play and why

Ok I play Guitar, Flute, Bass & Mandolin. I also have some drums, Djembe, darbuka, talking & Bongo But I play an SR16 much better. I Played Trombone in school but lost my lip in a hockey accident ( It's not really an accident in hockey). I played Rock & Folk first and then Jazz. Picked up Flute in my 20s because I wanted something small to take camping and to carry on my Motorcycle. Picked up a Bass in my 30s to fill out home recordings. Got a Mandolin at 39 as my interest in Bluegrass increased. I have a Viola but have only just started to play it and it still sounds like someone stepped on the cat. Have an Autoharp but tuning it is such a pain I never play it. I have a Keyboard too but my playing is mostly limitted to 1 handed chord part as background on recordings. My music style is all over the map from Rock to reggae, folk to Jazz with a fair number of reels & hornpipes.
    Jim Richmond

I'm new to mandolin and I've ventured into a harmonica in a rack but I'm a guitar player. It's easier to list the music I don't like, Rap and Opera. Now I enjoy a collection of opera arias but a real opera is beyond me. If I had to prioritize music by playing interest the blues would come out on top. I'm ashamed to say that my practice usually lacks the focus to get really good at anything. But, I try.

Blog Entries

Mandolin is my main instrument for the last few years, but I own and play guitar, uke, keyboards, and hand percussion. I rarely play the fiddle and saxophone I also own.

After guitar for a decade, mandolin has been a revelation and hugely enjoyable. I do some home recording, and practice with a looper every few days ... those instruments get played every week, but mandolin is 90% of my time.

In the past I've played more variety than since settling on mandolin ... I have little desire to pick up the other instruments anymore.

As for styles, I go to a bluegrass jam mondays, and perform with a duo playing blues/rock on Tuesdays. On my own, I play a fair bit of ragtime, fiddle tunes, and a little old-time. I like lots of different songs ...
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Electric guitar for 25 years- shred style ala Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Joe Satriani. Since I love playing music and I don't know anyone who still wants to play old Megadeth, Pantera or Testament stuff, I have fallen in love with bluegrass music. I am still amazed at the talent you will find at a bluegrass festival, both on stage and in the crowd. I have started to play mandolin, fiddle and banjo. I initially thought banjo would be the easiest transition but it has actually been the most difficult. Mandolin has been the easiest transition and is a great instrument especially since it is so portable. Walking around with the banjo takes a lot more work!
    Gibson F5G
    Kentucky km-600
    20+ electric guitars, banjos, bass guitars, and a fiddle

In order of proficiency, (if you can call it that). Electric Bass, Guitar, Mandolin, Irish Tenor Banjo, Bazouki, Tin whistle, Djembe, and most recently electric bagpipe. I play in an acoustic Irish folk band and in a contemporary worship service at church, and any other projects that come along.

I'm proficient on about a half-dozen or more different instrument families: have played in ensembles salsa, reggae, cajun, scandinavian, celtic, bluegrass, Dixieland rag-style, bellydance, Native American, and of course rock, blues, jazz. Started on classical guitar, immersed myself in flamenco through college. I make the most money playing drums and bass, but I try to limit working as a side-man (actually, my wife does this) so I can concentrate on my latest obsession: woodwinds and melodeons--which don't aggravate my left elbow tendonitis, like fiddle.

I also played pedal steel in a classic country band, long ago. I dabbled with oud, saz, and am currently trying to resist acquring a dilruba and studying Indian music.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Oct-03-2011 at 11:26am.

I was also a guitar player from the shred/metal genre for most of my life. All my old bandmates and friends are married like me and keeping a band like that together is nearly impossible since you can't really make much money. I am in a Black Sabbath cover band with some buddies for fun, it's all early Sabbath from the 70's. That band's purpose is getting to crank up a tube amp and drink with some buddies. Anymore it's pretty much mando outside of that. Bluegrass jams are a wealth of pickers and music lovers. The atmosphere of bluegrass jams and the challenge of learning the mando drew me in, I think the mando's role as a rythym and a great lead insrument at the same time is what keeps me into it. So much fun!

Blog Entries

Probably most proficient at the cello, which is an amazingly versatile instrument in the right hands.
    Unfortunately those hands aren't mine!

I had a wonderful start with music with my primary school teacher who just opened our heads to what makes music matter and how accessible it can be. Unfortunately she left the school to pursue her family and musical life when I was 11 and music, teaching in the place just ground to a halt and completely missed us out. However I transferred my training on descant and tenor recorder to the tin-whistles, so that gave me an outlet through my teens. I bought a bass guitar at 16 and taught myself that, which was great in university where I teamed up with a jazz drummer and that was seriously wow! for the musical education side of things.

I parked my playing when I became a sound engineer, mostly due to time issues, but also as I was totally intimidated by the musical talent around me. On settling into TV station engineering I decided it was time to go again. I wanted to pick up the mandolin then, but I've got quite fat fingertips so thought that was a non-starter. As I liked the sound and had the bass clef freshest in my head I went with the cello. I played ensemble / orchestral music and took weekly one-to one lessons & residential courses for about 6 years. A break when the track racing got serious then back to the cello. However I can't carry it with me so was only practising 1/2 time.

On having a run-in with cancer I decided I better get learning the mandolin fat fingers or no.
    I figured you can say 'some day I'll do it' until there's no more 'some days' left, so spent £250 on what turned out to be a great starter mandolin. Just this year I decided I'd make it my main instrument as I can practice all the time here or while away.

In terms of genres, classical I play with others on both cello and mandolin and bluegrass / folk on mandolin.
    However the project for 2012 is bluegrass on the cello.

So chief passion would be cello and mandolin, with the wind instruments lurking like some old skeletons in the cupboard.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

In the woods near Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

I started playing drums in a punk band when I was 40 with no prior musical experience. It's near impossible to write a song on a drum kit, so I picked up a ukulele about three years ago. Now I play drums, banjo ukulele, and electric uke with the band (it's a good conversation starter; not too many people have seen a left-handed solidbody electric ukulele playing punk music!). I'm just starting on the mandolin so that I can play some old-timey and country music on something other than the ukulele. I am presently obsessed with music from the '20s and 30's, especially jug band tunes.

My main instruments are guitar, mandolin, bass, tenor and 5 string banjo. I play both acoustic and electric versions of the bass and guitar, and perform regularly in a variety of styles including bluegrass, folk, rock, country, jazz, and a little swing. I recently took up clawhammer banjo, which I enjoy far more than three finger style. I am just starting to work that into some folk sets.

I started out playing clarinet in school. I tried every instrument I could get my hands on. Oboe, alto sax, soprano sax, Eb clarinet. We had a piano at home but I never took lessons, only played a little by ear. Picked up guitar in my teens but didn't get much past open chords due to problems with my hands. Gave up guitar. Sang in some choirs but that didn't last. Discovered mandolin about two years ago and now I'm happily in the deep end, learning and playing obsessively! I play mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, Irish low and high D whistle, and clarinet when I have time for it. I spend most of my time on mandola and mandolin right now. I'm learning old time tunes, Celtic music, bluegrass, blues, folk, rock, and some Brazilian Choro. Trying to find out what else is out there for genres for mandolin.

Mandolin is my main instrument these days and I play Irish, classical, a bit of choro and am looking at klezmer; before that it was recorder (baroque and medieval, still great loves) in sopranino, soprano, alto and tenor; and flute (again, old classical and more contemporary classical pieces) when I was in school and occasionally as an adult these days when I spot the case and drag it out to see if I still can make a sound. I was also a percussionist in high school so bang around on stuff (like the lampshade or couch arm) when I have a tune in my head, and I took some piano (again, classical) about 20 years ago and still wander by and finger the occasional chord. We have a bunch of instruments in the house (harp on occasion, fiddle, banjo, lap dulcimer, bells, bodhran, penny whistles, ocarina, African finger pianos, keyboards, guitar, bass) the rest of the family plays on and off.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by carojester View Post
    I started out playing clarinet in school. I tried every instrument I could get my hands on. Oboe...
    I'm also a woodwind player from age 9...I've had two oboes and I could not get them. I'd say that, for me, the double-reeds are the most difficult instrument (I persevered for a while, though, being a big fan of Yusef Lateef and ethnic forms). I'm currently spending a lot of time with bass clarinet--which is also known as one of the more difficult instruments, but for me it's much easier than oboe ever was!

Like Randi, I'm getting into slovenian music lately, especially with clarinets and accordians. I play a repertoire of harp tunes on hammered dulcimer--always desiring to be a harpist too: I'm tempted to alter the tuning and treat it like a cymbalom....but I'm trying to resist this temptation...too many instruments!

In more or less chronological order and overlapping in places:
    • Piano for six years when I was a kid, now defunct.
    • Drums in garage bands starting as a teenager, another six years, now defunct.
    • Acoustic guitar and acoustic resonator guitars for 30-odd years, starting with John Fahey-ish fingerstyle, now playing almost exclusively Irish trad backup in Drop-D wanabee John Doyle style.
    • Electric guitar, Chicago blues style for about six years, now defunct.
    • Mandolin for about 4 years now, mostly Irish trad, but it's starting to diversify. No Bluegrass, though. Also a little octave mandolin and 4-string fingerstyle mandola.
    • "Irish" keyless flute, played badly as a beginner, but hopefully improving.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I play old-time fiddle tunes on my mandolin (usually in a group setting) and I play acoustic "Piedmont" blues on the guitar (usually solo). I also sing in the church choir - can I count my voice as an instrument?

So, I'm either a two- or three-trick pony. Certainly not very well rounded - I do get my therapy though!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Guitars, ( Telecasters and Acoustics) Pedal Steel, Dobro, Bass, etc...Started my very young musical life as a rock/blues guitar player, shifted towards Country, then on to Pedal Steel in the early 70's...( yes old guy). Today pretty much cover Rock, Blues , Mustang Sally, Country..whatever... leaning BGrass now on Dobro and most recently on Mandolin. Developed my BGrass ears a few years back, the Dobro ( SQ Neck) really woke me up ..

Blog Entries

I play mandolin. Its my main instrument. Its the only instrument I play.

I enjoy playing the mandolin more than I enjoy any particular style of music.

So what styles do I play. Only the styles written out in standard notation, or that I can pick up by ear. Which means anything. But, only the styles where a mandolin fits or can be made to fit, which is no limitation either.

So, basically, yea, I play most anything. If its written in standard notation, I can usually play it. Even if its the bassoon part. I'll figure it out. Fiddle tunes and simple melodies I can site read. Harder stuff, I have to work on it, but I will get it. If someone shows me a tune, or plays it for me a few times, or plays it into my answering machine, or if I record it on my TASCAM DR-2 and can play it back in my own time, I can usually learn it.

What music do I have an especial passion for? Classical, fiddle tunes, old time, ragtime, bluegrass, contra dance fiddle tunes, Irish traditional, Scottish traditional, Scandinavian fiddle tunes (especially the Polkkas and Waltzes), Eastern European tunes, Klezmer, tango (working on it), Medieval music, Civil War songs, Child ballads (backup), story songs (back up), country music (back up).

Just about anything that is not jazz, blues, rock, or anything where I have to sing. Just not my cup of tea. I love to listen, but I don't care much to play it. Its just not me.

Well, I do play mandola, tenor guitar, tenor banjo, because they are tuned in fifths. Thats not a stretch.

I am learning the fiddle. I would never claim that I can play it.

I especially love the violin/fiddle, I would love to play but the whole fretless thing seems daunting...
    Well it turns out that the fretless part is the easy part. If you play mandolin, and have a good ear, soon enough (day one) your fingers can find where they need to be. The hard part is the bowing. I have never encountered anything harder to learn.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Started playing guitar and drums as a kid, got into punk at a young age and pretty much spent 20 years playing in punk bands. Got into irish trad music via watching a documentary on regional fiddle styles while home on a prolonged visit fixing up an old farmhouse I'd bought. Tried learning the fiddle for a wee bit, enjoyed it but a) my dog hates it even more than she hates the mandolin and b) the learning curve as regards using the bow was a bit steep for me, so I got a tenor banjo, and then a mandolin, and recently added a tenor guitar to the family as well. The dog likes the tenor guitar best. Nowadays I only really play irish trad music.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

So what styles do I play. Only the styles written out in standard notation, or that I can pick up by ear. Which means anything. But, only the styles where a mandolin fits or can be made to fit, which is no limitation either.

So, basically, yea, I play most anything. If its written in standard notation, I can usually play it. Even if its the bassoon part. I'll figure it out. Fiddle tunes and simple melodies I can site read. Harder stuff, I have to work on it, but I will get it. If someone shows me a tune, or plays it for me a few times, or plays it into my answering machine, or if I record it on my TASCAM DR-2 and can play it back in my own time, I can usually learn it.

What music do I have an especial passion for? Classical, fiddle tunes, old time, ragtime, bluegrass, contra dance fiddle tunes, Irish traditional, Scottish traditional, Scandinavian fiddle tunes (especially the Polkkas and Waltzes), Eastern European tunes, Klezmer, tango (working on it), Medieval music, Civil War songs, Child ballads (backup), story songs (back up), country music (back up).

Just about anything that is not jazz, blues, rock, or anything where I have to sing. Just not my cup of tea. I love to listen, but I don't care much to play it. Its just not me.

Well, I do play mandola, tenor guitar, tenor banjo, because they are tuned in fifths. Thats not a stretch.

Well it turns out that the fretless part is the easy part. If you play mandolin, and have a good ear, soon enough (day one) your fingers can find where they need to be. The hard part is the bowing. I have never encountered anything harder to learn.
    I figure it would be liberating once I get to that stage, but I am not well trained with my ear >_> A friend of mine plays cello and told me bowing was the easiest part for him, idk, it seems kind of easy to me, different ofc and I am sure would take practice, but seems kind of funner.
    If you have the time, check out my lil new born forum for people who play any instrument with strings! stringsandfrets.freeforums.org

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

I figure it would be liberating once I get to that stage, but I am not well trained with my ear >_> A friend of mine plays cello and told me bowing was the easiest part for him, idk, it seems kind of easy to me, different ofc and I am sure would take practice, but seems kind of funner.

I am surprised so many people play different instruments, maybe my little forum has a chance of growing after all with people like this on the web

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

In order of time playing: Fiddle, Mandolin, Mandola, Guitar, Ukulele
    In order of enjoyment: Mandolin, Fiddle, Mandola, Ukulele, Guitar
    (The guitar is just too big to take out of its case when there are all these littler instruments around.)
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

I play bluegrass, swing jazz, blues, folk and some rock on mandolin.
    I play bluegrass, blues country and acoustic folk on upright bass.
    I play blues, rock, jazz, country, and Jamrock on Fender Bass.
    I play blues, rock, jazz, country, jamrock, psychedelic rock and reggae on Fender Strat.
    I also own and play a drum kit several ukes, and a keyboard.
    The one thing I own that I am thoroughly incapable of playing with any skill is my Uncle's old Fiddle.
    I just plain suck at it.

I mostly play for fun - but I do this to make some much needed cash as a gun for hire in SF.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    I'm also a woodwind player from age 9...I've had two oboes and I could not get them.
    Started on oboe at age 11, [piano at 10] played until I left high school and playing such music was difficult in comparison to the acoustic guitar I got for my 17th birthday.

I picked up the sax to play high school jazz band, still own it and pull it out for kitchen table jams every few years. If I had endless time, i'd pursue it more.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    ...If I had endless time, i'd pursue it more.
    Ah, the beauty of folk music. (But, that gypsy music takes practice!)