Thread: Zoom H2 - AGC function

Default Zoom H2 - AGC function

I use my H2 primarily to record my mandolin lessons. I've been setting the mic gain on M (medium setting), with the recording level on 100. This results in a low level recording - so low that normalizing isn't very effective. Sometimes I also compress the file before I either burn it to a cd or make an mp3 for the iPod. That's not a great solution either, I still have to turn up the volume much higher than normal when I'm listening in the car.

The main problem is that I really don't know much about what I'm doing, either in setting up the H2 or in editing with Audacity. I did at least think to update the software on the H2 recently.

I have a lesson tonight. I was contemplating setting the mic gain on H (high), but after reading the manual a bit I decided to try the AGC (automatic gain control) function.

Anybody have experience with using the AGC function? There are several settings, I thought I'd try the "standard" setting. It overrides the mic gain setting and boosts the low levels while attenuating the high levels. I thought that might be better than just jacking up the gain on the mic.
    Clark Beavans

Default Re: Zoom H2 - AGC function

Where are you placing the recorder during your lessons? Try using the M setting and placing it on a music stand where it's close enough to you and your teacher, and angled to capture both (if that's what you're looking for). Music stands make a great ad-hoc stand for the H2.

If that doesn't work, go ahead and try H and see if it clips (bring some earbuds to check the recording). If it clips on the H setting, just move the stand back a little. Getting a good level with the H2 is all about treating it like a microphone, and placing it where you'd place a microphone for a good result.

I never recommend AGG, even for a documentary use like this. It has an annoying pumping effect as it constantly changes the volume. That's very difficult to edit out later on, because it raises and drops the noise floor along with the main signal you're trying to capture.

Usually we both sit in chairs and the H2 sits on a chair between us, and I use the 2 ch stereo mic selection that records front/back, so he's mostly on one channel and I'm mostly on the other. We're probably a little further away from the H2 than may be ideal for recording purposes, but I like the fact that I never think of the recorder once we get started.

I didn't get a chance to read your post before the lesson last night, so I forged ahead with plan A (AGC setting). I haven't had a chance to listen to it. I did manage to copy the file to the home computer and normalize it in Audacity this morning, hopefully I'll get a chance to play it back tonight. If I don't like the results, I'll try the high setting on the mic input next time.

One of these days I'll have to spend a little time learning how to best utilize Audacity, also.
    Clark Beavans

Blog Entries

I use the AGC setting most of the time. I played around with the manual, low, medium high, gain, and got mixed results. The AGC works great when I am just recording to the disc in the H2, however, when I have my h2 hooked up to the computer to record directly to audacity, I turn the AGC off. It makes the signal too hot for my computer.
    Asheville Celtic Mandolin Blog and Tablature Resource.
    www.AshevilleMandolin.com
    The Asheville Celtic Mandolin Collection: Standard Notation, Tablature and Chords for the Celtic Mandolin https://a.co/d/2KaJwBq "] - Tablature, Standard Notation & Chords to 50 Celtic/Irish Tunes.
    Hurdy Gurdy Music - https://youtube.com/@TheHurdyGurdyWi...nCX2BHJY7jCVM4
    The Mud Larks - Hurdy Gurdy and Nyckelharpa - https://the-mudlarks.com/