Thread: First time build?

Default First time build?

I'm considering getting a kit from Stew-Mac to build a mandolin, probably an A model.

I have some part time hobby experience with furniture refinishing and restoration. I have a pretty good understanding of chemicals/stains/finishes. I have no knowledge of building instruments.

Is the Stew-Mac kit a possibility for me to do on my own, or would I need to have someone to guide me along?

Any reviews on these kits?

Are there options other than Stew-Mac?

Bob
    re simmers

Default Re: First time build?

I've been working on a Siminoff F5 kit for a while. Didn't have the experience you have and it is coming out pretty good. I'd say go for it.

Here's a link to Siminoff's website, which has kits (A & F style) comparable to StewMac in quality:
    http://parts.siminoff.net/mandolinandmandolakits.aspx
    Ralph
    1984 Flatiron A5Jr; Collings MT; Built an F-style kit
    HogTimeMusic.com // Songs on Bandcamp.com
    "What's Time to a Hog?"

Thanks, Ralph. The F5 is nearly the same price. I might go for it.

Bob
    re simmers

Bob,
    I just completed a scratch build with no woodwording experience and now getting ready to start a couple more. I really enjoyed starting from scratch, but I think a kit would be a great way to go. The one issue I have is my Buckeye. I'm spoiled with the sound of that mandolin. I'm not sure I will ever be completely satisfied until I get something close to that range.. Until then I'll just keep at it and learn as I go.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy working with the wood as much as I do.

Jimmy,

A scratch build? Did you use the Siminoff book, patterns..........are you apprenticing with someone? How did you know what to do?

If I try this, it will be a hobby project/back-up mandolin. The Buckeye is what I play, and yes, I'm spoiled with it.

Bob
    re simmers

I too started with scratch built. If fear is the only thing keeping you from scratch built then I suggest shedding that fear - because it's not legitimate. Building a mandolin from scratch is easy when you take it one step at a time. Buy some top wood and do the top plate first. Don't worry about all the other parts. Or you could start with the neck, or you could start with the rim, or you could start with the peghead... so many ways to start. Do it at your leisure.

Bob,
    I bought Adrians plans from Elderlys and went at it. I just had to figure things out. A friend did loan me Siminoffs book when I was half way through the build. Most of the information I found on the builders forum. I didn't have any woodworking experience or tools. I do have a toolmaker and engineering background and that help me through some issues and sometimes it caused issues. I did know I would be building more in the future, I bought some tools, made some tools and also made templates for many parts that I can use again. I have also built a router duplicator for rough carving the tops. Some guys love doing that by hand. I'm not one of them. I love using the finger planes and scrapers, but the roughing out part wasn't fun for me.

Hey Bob. The Stu-Mac kit is a great way to go, thats how I started. Having a few years of guitar building made it easier for sure, but their kit is a great kit. Great tone woods and very nice figured maple. That being said, I recommend Siminoff's parts very highly because roger's crew Hand picks the woods for each and every kit. He is also a very helpful source if you have any questions. Starting with a kit the first time is the best way to go, because it gives you a chance to construct the mando with out all the time it takes just to carve a top or back, not to mention everything else.

Good Luck.... Mikki, " Lambs Mandolins "

In looking through the build threads (very interesting), it occurs to me that when complete I would have $700 plus in this deal for a F style with case. For that amount, I could buy a decent Asian made Mando. I do not wish to insult anyone....For I do not know. Is a well constructed kit a better playing/better quality mando than the previously mentioned?
    Or is building your own for the satisfaction of doing so, get a better job doing it yourself....etc?

Quote Originally Posted by skyraider50 View Post
    I do not wish to insult anyone....For I do not know. Is a well constructed kit a better playing/better quality mando than the previously mentioned?
    Or is building your own for the satisfaction of doing so, get a better job doing it yourself....etc?
    Personally, I'm building because I have a desire to build, not to save money. I'm not under any illusion that my first build will rival a factory instrument. But successive builds will (hopefully) get better and better.

The kit approach is more approachable for a first-timer perhaps but is kind of pricy. And the challenge of making all the wood pieces from scratch is more interesting to me.

Same here.
    Richard Hutchings

I'm not insulted at all. I may or may not do this. But, I don't want a 'decent Asian made mando.'

Bob
    re simmers

Thank you!

F-style Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by re simmers View Post
    Thanks, Ralph. The F5 is nearly the same price. I might go for it.

Bob
    Do yourself a favor and start with an A-model. The scroll and points are completely unnecessary and add complexity to the build that is far beyond any perceived benefit they may add.

And- playing a A model proudly sets you apart from the herd. Especially if you built it yourself.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lindstrom View Post
    Do yourself a favor and start with an A-model. The scroll and points are completely unnecessary and add complexity to the build that is far beyond any perceived benefit they may add.

And- playing a A model proudly sets you apart from the herd. Especially if you built it yourself.

Rick
    The scroll makes every single step more difficult than it would be on an A model - I'd be interested in what others think, but the scroll has probably doubled the time I would have spent if I'd done the A5 kit as my first build. Aligning it, cutting it, sanding it, shaping it, binding it, finishing it are all a pain. But the scroll / F5 design is just so easy on the eye - I really think it it is worth it.

If you aspire to build an F5, start with one, otherwise at the end of your first build you'll have a mandolin you didn't really want, and you'll be looking at 'moving up to building an F5' rather than 'now I'm going to build a much better F5'. If you don't, build an A5, or look at some of the other designs: there is an asymterical three point design on the web somewhere that I think is beautiful and very elegant, and it's the elegance I think the A shapes are missing.

Build the mandolin you really want to have - it might just turn out well.