Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparison video of the Loar LM-400 vs the Eastman 605

Default Re: Comparison video of the Loar LM-400 vs the Eastman 605

You also have to realize that even if the video was still available, it probably won’t give you any idea of how the particular mandolins you purchase will sound. They’re going to vary. In the video, which I haven’t seen, the Eastman may sound better to your ears. You order that model and it turns out to sound nothing like what you heard in the video. A friend of mind bought a Eastman 815, I believe the model was. He bought it online, based on hearing other videos. It turned out to be a dud. Terrible, thin, muffled sound. He sold it a few weeks later. You can’t know how any instrument will sound until you actually play it.

Many thanks for your reply, yes you are right, I am just going to have to wait it out I think and wait until I can try both mandolins! I totally agree with what you are saying and thanks again for your input.

Eastmans fretboards have a gentle radius, and smaller frets. The Loars are dead flat with larger frets.

Thanks Johnny60, is one easier to play than the other i.e. flat or radiused fretboard or is it just down to personal taste, probably a daft question I know! I play guitar and have a Kentucky 150 mandolin but looking to upgrade as really starting to get the buzz for it! :-)

5. The following members say thank you to jen645 for this post:

I personally prefer a radius - it’s just a lot more comfy for my hands. There are many players who can swap between flat and radius without missing a beat. But, for me, a flat board just feels “wrong”. Ultimately it’s your choice!