Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Got me a Tone Guard

Default Re: Got me a Tone Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Watkins View Post
    I have two of them
    How did you get the second one on there?

Maybe one is for BBQ'ing fish.

Just to follow up on my previous post, I received my ToneGard on Tuesday and the Vintage fits like a glove on the Flatbush V4. I have spent a few hours playing with it and can definitely tell a difference in the overall sound. This mandolin had plenty of volume before, but I think it has a touch more now so I can play a little lighter. The biggest difference to me is in the sustain of the notes, as well as additional bark in the chop. The bass end is especially noticeable, presumably because I held that side tighter against me before. I also enjoy the extra weight on the body.

For the relative price of about 1.5% of the cost of the mandolin, I think there is definitely more than that percentage improvement in overall sound.

Thanks to the Cafe for all the great input I found in searches.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I've been considering purchasing a TG, but I have an Eastman MD305 which has a delicate finish and am wondering if it would mar the finish. Anyone out there using a TG on an Eastman with the satin finish?
    Late 2012 Eastman MD305
    Early 2012 Eastman MD605

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I just don't quite think the satin finish is "delicate." Rather I think the non-polished look a touch basic. Don't get me wrong, I spend my money on sound, so, basic is fine by me. I mean if you had a high-gloss varnish, I'd consider that delicate. That said, I use a Tonegard on my Cohen (varnish) and also my old 1920 Gibson A3. I love them and could care less if they leave a mark. They don't though. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Eastman finishes are no more delicate than many others. I've used a TG on a varnished finish with no problem for a number of years now and for what it's worth I recently removed an armrest that has been on that same mandolin for three years straight and there are no signs of it marring the finish.

Thanks for the replies; however, I get the feeling that you're not familiar with the satin finish that Eastman uses. I've already inadvertently scratched it as well as my luthier - who said that he's never scratched a finish before. There is no varnish on this mandolin and even Eastman themselves have told me that the finish is very delicate. I haven't yet decided if I will keep this mandolin or use it to trade up at some time in the future, so would like to know if I should expect a TG to potentially mar the finish.
    Last edited by AnitaM; Apr-22-2013 at 11:00pm.
    Late 2012 Eastman MD305
    Early 2012 Eastman MD605