Thread: so.....what is the secret for doing those chop chords?

Default so.....what is the secret for doing those chop chords?

Specifically that G chop chord, how in the world do you stretch that pinkie??? I have got the two finger chords down pretty well. But I want to chop and I can't seem to get the full chords ANd then there is the issue I have with the whole chop, I seem too uncoordinated to do this. But it looks so smooth and easy when I watch others play!

Blog Entries

Default Re: so.....what is the secret for doing those chop chords?

There are good tips here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ght=chop+chord
    I think Pete Martin's vids would be especially helpful. The link is at post 6.

Good luck! You'll get it.

I advise my students to move the G chord up the neck 3 or 4 frets to Bb or B and practice the chord there where the frets are closer together. You can actually practice the same I chord(G), IV chord(C) and V chord(D or D7) and develop the muscle memory required to make the chords on every accessible fret. As you gradually increase the stretch of your fingers you can move the chords to the A position, Ab position and finally the G position. Be patient and do this gradually. You don't want to injure yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hall View Post
    I advise my students to move the G chord up the neck 3 or 4 frets to Bb or B and practice the chord there where the frets are closer together. You can actually practice the same I chord(G), IV chord(C) and V chord(D or D7) and develop the muscle memory required to make the chords on every accessible fret. As you gradually increase the stretch of your fingers you can move the chords to the A position, Ab position and finally the G position. Be patient and do this gradually. You don't want to injure yourself.
    Yeah, that's part of the idea behind those 4-finger chords. No open strings. Why not take advantage of that instead of learning it in the hardest spot (first position) right off the bat? Good reminder, Jon.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of players don't really play all four strings when they chop. The emphasis is on the bottom two or three, the E-string being quasi-damped to give it a less brilliant and more throaty, percussive quality. Also, try chopping over the octave mark of the fretboard rather than toward the bridge- an instructor turned me on to that and it lets you have a really powerful stroke. The chops have nice 'woofy' quality up there. There's a John Moore masterclass on YouTube where he shows off some really nice, powerful chops in a classroom setting.