Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wear spot on the top: Fix it or Mojo?

Default Re: Wear spot on the top: Fix it or Mojo?

C &

D- pickguard

A pick guard would be the way to prevent further wear. There is a good reason that the alternative, and perhaps more proper name is "finger rest".
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I'm one of those people who'd rather look at a worn out top than a pickguard. I just don't like them... in appearance or playing on them.
    Rick in Memphis

Raw wood wears away much faster than finish. If a pinky plant was worn down thru to the grain, I'd recommend putting some kind of clear finish on it to preserve the top plate and the mojo.

At some point mojo can turn into damage, and sometimes with unexpected consequences. I think Willie's guitar has gone way beyond mojo, and the fact that it has any value at all is because it is his. (What would the same guitar with that kind of damage done by Joe Schmuck be worth?) I have a friend who put on a clear mylar (?) self-adhesive guard over the same kind of worn spot many years ago, and within a few months, it was no longer even visible. As the sheen wore off, it just blended into the top, so if you had concerns about the appearance of (a), it will very likely just fade away into invisibility.

Have you thought about asking Sim?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Darrow View Post
    Have you thought about asking Sim?
    Sure I have. I need to get it up to Sim to get some frets replaced and an annual tune up. But I've been off playing all summer and haven't been around. It'll likely be toward September before I can drive it over and leave it. I don't expect Sim will have strong feelings one way or the other about it. After all, he's seen several of my distress marks over the years which doesn't compare to his distressed model by a long shot. He'll probably do what ever action I ask him to do so it will be me deciding which I'm trying to do now.
    Rick in Memphis

Depends how much you think of the instrument as a player, and how much you think of it as an investment (ie - do you have any plans to resell it; if not now, maybe in the future?). The idea of mojo is nice, but it really does take a long time for it to give any value to an instrument. Like, sure a teens or twenties Gibson, full of wear marks, has great character (mojo), but none of us was around to buy it new, put the first scratch or wear mark on it, and have to make this decision - to fix or not. Think about it - if you kept an instrument (bought new) for 20 years, which is really quite a long time nowadays, that means that you bought it new in 1990. Sound issues aside, a worn-looking 1990 mando will sell for less than a mint condition one. (I guess mint condition isn't the same as refinished, so maybe it's not a fair comparison.) I would think having Mr. Daley touch up the spot would be a pretty safe way of getting a good repair that would not diminish the value.

I'm thinking that the safest way of fixing it and protecting it to prevent further damage and depreciation would be to get Sim to fix the wear, and then install a pickguard.
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Crenshaw View Post
    Sure I have. I need to get it up to Sim to get some frets replaced and an annual tune up. But I've been off playing all summer and haven't been around. It'll likely be toward September before I can drive it over and leave it. I don't expect Sim will have strong feelings one way or the other about it. After all, he's seen several of my distress marks over the years which doesn't compare to his distressed model by a long shot. He'll probably do what ever action I ask him to do so it will be me deciding which I'm trying to do now.
    The reason I asked is that Sim might have a "D" option for you. Perhaps not, but you never know.