Thread: Strap for Phoenix

Default Strap for Phoenix

Have a new Phoenix arriving soon and am wondering what are good choices for a double strap button setup on her. It's a Phoenix Standard with the McIntyre endpin jack which is bigger than a normal endpin.
    Thanks,
    Rich

Default Re: Strap for Phoenix

It's not in hand yet? so you don't have a clue as to how long you need a strap to be?

Long cord, put a spring cord-lock in the middle, and a loop of slack in the cord-lock, tie a loop for each end around the end buttons,
    that will do. cord-lock has proved to make length adjustment easy , When you find a length that works for you, in the long run,

go find an old leather belt [the previous wearer has put a nice curve in the leather ] then punch a couple holes in it that far apart.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm quite fond of the Long Hollow leather straps (Big Softie), and used mine on a Phoenix Jazz. You can split the whole about a 1/4 inch and it fits nicely. It's even more secure when you have it plugged in.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Perhaps I could help?

The Bailey Mandolin Strap
    http://www.thebaileystrap.com

Just a thought, hoping I'm diplomatic and not breaching forum protocol.

Bill

I used a tape measure to get a pretty good idea of how long a strap had to be after putting an old strap on the mando and fiddling with where I wanted to sit. Then went to a leather-maker's shop (she makes B&D style stuff, so the visit was ... interesting), She showed me a strip that was smooth on one side, suede on the other, ~1.5" wide. I brought the instrument along so she knew what the ends had to fit over. She cut it to a slightly longer length, then cut holes with a slit coming from the opposite to the "load-bearing" direction. Cost something like $15. Smooth end out, suede inside? Sticks nicely. Reverse it & it slides nicely. Best strap solution I've had on any instrument.
    Gene R. Rankin (a CheeseHead)
    Phoenix custom Deluxe

Be sure to check out the Bailey strap listed above. I have 2 of Bill's straps and they are great. Fully adjustable over any size end-pin and have a 'locking' device which will Not get loose on you. I have 1 on my Eastman 2-point and 1 on a 1925 Martin Tiple. But be sure you measure the length first as they are braided to-order.

NFI

Michael
    All the Best
    Michael

I've got a similar setup on my Clark. I just ordered a Bailey strap. The ends are leather loops with a bead to tighten them up. The loop appears that it would fit right into that groove on the strap jack. I should get it in a week or so and I'll report back with the results.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural