Thread: Replace tuning machines on a Gibson A

Default Replace tuning machines on a Gibson A

I've got a Gibson A (1917) with non-original tuning machines. They're a little stiff and make the mando more difficult to tune than my travel mando (an Ibanez 510).

I'm considering replacing the machines with modern ones that will be smoother and have a better ratio -- what do you recommend? Should I, and if so, what should I use? Last question: this looks simple to do - should I install the new machines myself?

Default Re: Replace tuning machines on a Gibson A

Have you looked at any of the Prior posts on cleaning and re-lubricating the tuners you have, do that first.

grovers are 18:1, may need headstock mods to fit + as all modern ones are expecting installation worm over , if you fit them worm under they will rotate the other way round , CW, to tighten the string.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Most of the mandolins of this era will need the tuners cut apart to fit the string spacing. If cleaning doesn't work then new turners are an option. I cut and replaced tuners on mandolins of this vintage several times and it works great. I feel that i would rather modify the tuners to fit the mandolin instead of modifying the mandolin to fit the tuners. Especially when it is this old. Who cares if you cut a new set of tuners or make a screw hole larger so it will match the hole in the mandolin. Unless you look it's not noticeable and works great.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

If they're non-original, Stew-Mac is about to release really replicas of the originals, so you might be better off with them.

Above, original teens gears. Below, the replicas, but then they come out, they'll have cream (not white) buttons with some other button options:

Can you post a photo of what now have? It might be a simple matter that the post spacing is wrong.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Paul,

Any idea when Stewmac will be releasing the replicas? The gears look like a higher ratio - true?

I followed your (excellent) how-to on cleaning the Handel tuners on my 1914 A4, and could not believe how much GUNK had accumulated in the gears (only 95 yrs of accumulation, after all). The improvement was remarkable, but there is some laxity in the gears as they are quite worn.

Do you know whether Handel-style buttons will be one of the options on the Stewmac sets?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Dave

Two months for a catalog release, last I heard.

Some looseness in the gears is quite OK, as long as the string tension takes up the slack.

I'm blanking on the name of the gent who currently makes the Handel buttons—someone will hopefully pop in to remind us—but I think he's your only hope. I think the button options for these tuners will be the same as for other Stew-Mac tuners: ebony, cream, and ivoroid.

ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Bohm or something like that , funny can't search for builders names alphabetically, starts with .. ,
    it finds every b ever written though.
    Last edited by mandroid; Mar-22-2010 at 2:17pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Hi guys, The man who makes them is Mike Blohm. It's Pronounced Bloom. The buttons are a work of art. I purchased a set late last year and they are worth every penny! ($250.00) when I bought them. Mike is a great guy and does impeccable work. I was in awe when I opened the package. They are so small, and so detailed, you can't even imagine till you see them in person.
    Good Pickin', Steve