Thread: Lyon and Healy A # 31

Default Lyon and Healy A # 31

Currently on eB@y with no reserve:

Vintage Lyon and Healy A Professional Mandolin

Serial number 31 with original case in overall good shape, but missing part of the scroll and a couple of "separations". It should be interesting to see what it goes for. NFI.

Default Re: Lyon and Healy A # 31

It was one there last week with around $4500 as the starting price IIRC. That should sound nice and it is the earlier and longer scale model.

Ironically, the madness of auctions will prob bring the price up or close to the original asking. My humble prediction.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It came out of an estate sale on the East Coast a couple of months ago. (I was a phone bidder but bowed out.) Not sure what the final price was. The folks who bought it have been trying to dump it on eBay at around $4K ever since.

A good violin shop can make a new ear for the scroll and match the finish. Probably $200-300, I would guess. I knocked a corner off my fiddle at a gig in Palo Alto; the repair shop did a very nice job matching the grain with a replacement. You wouldn't have known anything had happened there.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I had a good look at the photos and was suspicious that it had been dropped at some stage with the scroll ear missing and what looks like stress cracks where the neck joins the body. Might be wrong but it is unusual IMO to see those cracks - they were very strongly made.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    It came out of an estate sale on the East Coast a couple of months ago. (I was a phone bidder but bowed out.) Not sure what the final price was. The folks who bought it have been trying to dump it on eBay at around $4K ever since.

A good violin shop can make a new ear for the scroll and match the finish. Probably $200-300, I would guess. I knocked a corner off my fiddle at a gig in Palo Alto; the repair shop did a very nice job matching the grain with a replacement. You wouldn't have known anything had happened there.

Winning bid: US $2,980.00
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I just can't see selling it for $2980. Now, $2995, that's another story.