Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skype video-based Practice Group

Default Skype video-based Practice Group

I'd like to start up a weekly "study group" similar to the "song-a-week group but one that meets via Skype video. This would allow the members to collaboratively work on the tunes together sharing timing, phrasing, variations, etc.

I'd be interested in ideas from people to whom this sounds intriguing!

Scott

Default Re: Skype video-based Practice Group

I'd be interested- but how many people can be on Skype at one time?
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

There are plug-ins for Skype that allow multiple users:

http://www.wayneporter.com/?p=502

I'm not wedded to Skype, so we could explore other platforms: iChat, gTalk, etc.

Another option (maybe the best) allow 6 users:

http://oovoo.com/
    Last edited by Daijoki; Jan-21-2010 at 1:24pm.

Ok, I just got started with Skype, learning about it. My web cam quality is not that great, now I'm trying to figure out how to use my new JVC Everio VCHD as a streaming webcam. There is software-OrangeWare WebCamDv that will allow you to use a camcorder.

One concern with doing a group thing is (at least for me) I do better learning something that I can look back on- like a youtube video. Your idea is worth a try!
    Teri LaMarco

That could work... for example, we decide we like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUWbszaIVUM

After the practicing alone (focusing on, e.g., the intro) we meet to compare notes: Fingering, trouble spots, etc.

yeah- that's a good idea. Pick a song, or lick, or something you don't understand and work on it.

Right now I'm returning my Blue Eyeball audio/video webcam- audio is not connecting. Any suggestions for a good web cam w/ good audio? not too expensive.
    Teri LaMarco

"Inexpensive" is relative, but were I looking for one I might buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Webca...4114190&sr=8-1

Hope this helps,

Scott

great idea - wish i could join. a 7-hour time difference and absolutely zilch computer skills leaves me out, i'm afraid. (a conference call type format shouldn't be too hard to manage, however.) buona fortuna ...

Logitech makes good web-cameras; there is software available to record Skype video sessions.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

If I can join in I would love to try am in Eastern Time Zone will keep checking this link or email me will have to reload Skype as I don't have it anymore
    Dan

Doing a little independent testing with the two computers in my house, I found that the Skype and MeBeam.com combo allows for up to 16 people to a video conference (or just audio if you do not have a camera but still want to join). Both are free!

If people offer blocks of time that work for them (with time zone), I can see what might work for all:

M- 8-10 PM EST
    T- 8-10 PM EST
    W- 8-10 PM EST
    T- 8-10 PM EST
    F- 8-10 PM EST
    S- 8 AM - 10 PM EST
    S- 8 AM - 10 PM EST

all the times are good for me, only the Friday night one might be a problem, that is Date night for me and the wife
    Dan

So I've done some research and here's the scoop:

MeBeam.com is free and allows up to 16 users at one time (all you need is a mic and a camera setup). They allow you to create your own room (so no random people are showing up). So we could use:

http://www.mebeam.com/mandocafe

To keep it loose, it could be a "drop in" setup at set times (kind of like dropping by your local music store). If people are there, you can hang out as long as you want. If not, check back later (but perhaps wait 5 minutes or so). Some times could be (with the international presence in mind):

12 AM/PM
    3 AM/PM
    6 AM/PM
    9 AM/PM

If people are there when you log in, you can break the ice with some basic questions:

- What tune are you working on today (wanna' play it for me?)
    - Do you know ___? How do you play the intro?

People could be free to "lurk" and just listen to people talk/play, too. No pressure to "perform"!

Thoughts on this? It could be cool if at any point you drop in and there are some folks sharing ideas for a new lick to end Blackberry Blossom!

Sounds like fun - especially the 'drop in' aspect, since scheduling is sometimes a hassle here at mi casa. And maybe once in awhile announce a group 'house party' where different folks agree to man the chat room for one hour apiece during the party so if anybody shows up there will be someone there.
    TEXANS!
    Song-a-Week group
    SKYPE me at 'grykat'

Sounds good to me will be looking forward to joining in and seeing what is going on, just let everyone know times would be willing to try and be there at a certain time some night, just let me know when you need me. Just tried the website and my video works got to work on the sound but that should be no problem as it is unhooked
    Dan
    Last edited by blueridgemandolin; Jan-26-2010 at 10:32pm. Reason: adding information

Don and I gave http://www.mebeam.com/mandocafe a try last night. After a little fussing with the settings we were able to hear each other (thought with a 4 second lag). If you don't mind talking over each other here and there, it's a great way to hear (vs read about) what other people are working on, how they play familiar tunes, etc. Just from tonight I want to work on a "fuller" sound (double stops) that Don uses vs a more straight melody line that I tend to play. Thanks, Don.

Hope a few of us can do it soon... Maybe this The eve? 9 PM EST?

Will try and stop in, working on bathroom in the basement putting in some tile and planning on doing the glue down tonight so I can grout it tomorrow night.
    Dan

anyone trying the new room tonight ?
    Dan

If you're planning on joining tonight (Thu, 1/28), 9 PM, EST, note that I've attached info on how MeBeam works. See you there, I hope!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MeBeam.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	49612  

I set up a group for people who are interested. Enjoy!

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=148

Hey Scott- I guess you saw me online, checking you out. My cam's not available yet, I was trying to get my video cam to work but no success. There was a marked delay, seemed more than the 4 sec. you mentioned, and the transmission was broken up. I don't know if it was that site or what. I have used Skype without those problems. When I get a new webcam- I'll try again.
    Teri LaMarco

Thumbs down Re: Skype video-based Practice Group

Okay, I tried MeBeam tonight, both in the MandoCafe room and in a room I set up, EasyPickins - and in both cases there were a whole bunch of other people playing their own instruments, and I don't mean the kind you whip out at a jam. Is this a glitch in that system, or an inherent weakness in the program? I thought you had to specifically request a room by name, but even though I had just created my room, they were there before me, and already well on their way. Ugh...
    TEXANS!
    Song-a-Week group
    SKYPE me at 'grykat'

I just tried and had the same experience in the "mandocafe" room and then again in a random room name made up... so clearly it's a problem with their system.

Sunday night seems like a good time for all. How about I scope out mebeam.com between now and then and it it's safe to go back, we all meet at 8 PM EST. If it's not, we can talk about other options... unfortunately most are paid sites (not to costly, but I like free better)... but at least you avoid the, um,

Scott

Scott
    Last year Musicmoose did one on Yahoo groups and it seemed to work ok. did not have the problem of other people coming in as you had to be admitted to the room by someone in it
    Dan

Hey Scott, Dan and Kat, I just got going with Skype with a friend in Florida. We got together without a room and you can let more than two(not sure how many)conference together. After the first two are connected another can request to enter the conversation. The problem we have encountered was the slight lag time combined with the mic's picking up the speakers transmission and sending it back to the sender again. An echo of sorts. You can use mic'd headsets to eliminate this problem for conversation but to play more than one instrument that doesn't plug in is going to be troublesome. We played together a bit acoustic but it was definitely flawed. Until the lag time can be eliminated the mic's picking up what you played or said and refeeding it back to you and general timing issues may make you want to only have one person play at a time.