Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of pick do you use?

Thumbs up Re: What kind of pick do you use?

I use a BlueChip TAD 50. What a superb, versatile product! Money well spent as far as I'm concerned... just don't lose it!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: What kind of pick do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I've had a few near disasters with the brown, blend in with everything coloured Blue Chip picks - if they're going to make a pick that expensive, can they not at least make it safety orange in colour? Or glow in the dark?

Cheers,
    Jill
    That's the advantage of Clayton's: they are light brown, translucent and if dropped, immediately go into camouflage mode - but they are so cheap that you can afford to just pull out the next one.
    "Glowing in the dark" is a good idea: means the pick either contains a battery or is radioactive

Another option would be to glue a small strip of metal to your pick and retrieve it by sweeping the floor with a magnet...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I have a beauty glow-in-the-dark pick that emits beeping sounds when it hits the ground... you'd never lose this puppy... I can't tell you where to get one though, I found mine...

Oh my goodness! I had no idea anyone responded, and I just happened to see this today! I didn't get an email in my inbox saying people responded. I must have forgotten to check something off? Well, now I am going to read these!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    I have a beauty glow-in-the-dark pick that emits beeping sounds when it hits the ground... you'd never lose this puppy... I can't tell you where to get one though, I found mine...
    I know where it's from:
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I've had a few near disasters with the brown, blend in with everything coloured Blue Chip picks - if they're going to make a pick that expensive, can they not at least make it safety orange in colour? Or glow in the dark?

Cheers,
    Jill
    V-Picks makes several glow in the dark models; I haven't used their picks, but they seem pretty good. They have models specifically for mando.

I'm a fan of Wegens and, like Jamie, the D'Andrea Pro Plecs that come with Jazz Mando strings. You get a good sound out of both kinds. When I first bought my mandolin, it came with some Johnson mediums, but they seem too light (and too bright) for my taste.
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

I showed up for a gig once and found i had left all my picks at home, after a few minutes I remembered I had an expired drivers liscence in my wallet, so I took out my trusty pocket knife and in no time at all I had three picks cut out of it. One even had a pic of my face on it! they worked ok but I always keep a spare in my wallet anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by John Durkan View Post
    I showed up for a gig once and found i had left all my picks at home, after a few minutes I remembered I had an expired drivers liscence in my wallet, so I took out my trusty pocket knife and in no time at all I had three picks cut out of it. One even had a pic of my face on it! they worked ok but I always keep a spare in my wallet anymore.
    Back in Dublin when I played guitar in a punk band, I too showed up for a gig with no plec, had to use a ha'penny instead!

Cheers,
    Jills
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Back in Dublin when I played guitar in a punk band, I too showed up for a gig with no plec, had to use a ha'penny instead!

Cheers,
    Jills
    I'm so paranoid about picks I've always got a few spare ones, once I did turn up at a gig without my guitar Only a 50 mile round trip to collect it, sitting where I'd left it, on the front door step

oops, wrong thread