Thread: Zero Fret Insert

Default Zero Fret Insert

I was just wondering if it would be possible to remove the nut and replace it with a zero fret and string spacer insert.
    Of course the zero fret would have to be in the right place to keep the intonation correct etc.

Other than "popping" out the nut and installing the insert there should be no other changes to the instrument.

Is there any reason that this could not be done?

Thanks,
    Kevin Vail

Default Re: Zero Fret Insert

There's nothing wrong with a zero fret, but there's nothing wrong with a nut either. Why change from the one that the instrument was built for (nut) to the one the instrument was not built for (zero fret)? It could be done, one way or another, but in my way of thinking, it's a lot of work for no gain.

I don't know, John....as a non-luthier, I might consider switching to the zero fret idea, mostly because it doesn't require the precision cutting of slots in the nut. As long as they are not too wide or narrow, depth doesn't matter because the strings rest on that zero fret. I know you know all this better than I do. Am I missing something?

I don't thing you're missing anything in particular as far as function or ease of slotting. What I'm getting at is the complexity of changing over from a nut to a zero fret. Lets just say it would be a lot more work (after figuring out how to do it!) than cutting 8 nut slots, for a luthier or a non-luthier.

Kevin, I have to agree with the others, seems like a lot of work and changes to the mandolin for no gain. You would have to remove the nut, glue a piece of fingerboard at the end of the existing board about 3/16" long, then cut the new fret slot very accurately to get intonation correct. Then probably cut back the plate on the headstock to get a level place to glue the new nut. Then the nut would have to be slotted down to below the zero fret hieght (oh by the way the zero fret would have to be levelled to the hieght of the existing frets as well) . Lot of work and risk just to avoid some simple nut slot adjustment. IMHO.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Even though I'm a big fan of zero frets, I wouldn't go there.

Bite the bullet, and carve yourself a new nut from bone, if it goes wrong carve another one!

frets.com has all the details... it's really not that bad... honestly!

John.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I dunno. I did this operation on an old Stridente bowlback. It is nice enough mandolin but I wasn't risking a whole lot. I had played a friend's DeMeglio and liked what the zero fret offered. (His also had a brass saddle which I also added.) I got some brass stock and some bone and took my time, was careful with my measurements, cutting etc. and it all worked out fine.

Is it 'better' than before? Was it worth the time? Hard to answer that to someone else because my measuring sticks are no doubt different than others. I'm no luthier or professional repairman. It plays nicely and I enjoy it. I am happy that I took the time to do it. Open strings do sound different. It was a positive experience for me and I learned a lot.

Mick

Thanks for all of the input, I was wondering about this because some of the music I "try" to play sounds better without the jump from a fretted note to an open string.
    The 7th fret sounds better than the open string but not as nice as the open string with a zero fret.
    The zero fret insert idea sounded good, and would not cost as much as a new mando. I have tried using a capo, but it has other issues.
    Kevin Vail

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Keep in mind, if you put a spacer in the nut slot with a zero fret in the top of it, you'll still have to have the "spacer nut" somewhere, or the strings will cross the zero fret in all sorts of wacky places. You'd probably have to widen the nut slot to accomodate the zero fret holder, and the spacer nut. Seems like a lot of work, but it should work.