Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Sobell after all

I've finally gotten the time and the absence of foul weather necessary to get a couple of shots for those who asked. Here's the front:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sobell_small.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	4183  
    Bob DeVellis

And here's one of that pretty rosewood back. Overall, it's in good shape but it does have a couple of minor issues. There are a couple of cracks above the sound hole and theire's a wierd buzz on just one of the A strings. I'm bringing it in for some work on Thursday, so hopefully, both problems will be remedied. Also, I'm not crazy about the tuners and I think Gotohs will work, using the same screw holes. If so, I may swap out the tuners, although I'll save the originals.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sobell_back_small.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	4184  
    Bob DeVellis

Congrats on the Sobell and it looks to be a fine example of his work. Love the tailpiece BTW and Im glad to see your Sobell MAS has been, if not cured at least treated some. We'd all love to hear your take on it various quailities once you've had time to play it a while.
    Jeff
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

looks like our posts have crossed...
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Hi Bob,

Congrats on the new machine. Hope you get on great with it.

I'd be interested to know how you like the large body. I had a Sobell copy for about a year - very similar in appearance (but not in quality, alas) to yours. I found it kind of weird getting used to the large body with so little of the neck clear, but the thing didn't really sound or play well enough for me to spend enough time bonding with it. After all, it was only an imitation - I'd say if I had the good luck to get an original, I'd have had no such bonding issues.
    Pádraig

It's really stunning Bob; thanks for the post!

Keith

Blog Entries

Man, I want one. The Sobel I've played sounded like I was in a cathedral when I struck its notes. Enjoy Bob!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

I think you've got a nice one there, and the small bodied cedar top Sobells are lovely, mellow and sweet. Mine is spruce top and Indian rosewood, from 1983, and I much prefer the rosewood to the newere maple bodied instruments Sobell has been making, but that's only my opinion. Do let us know how you find it when you get it Bob.

http://www.footstompin.com/artists/kevin_macleod
    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/kevinmacleod

Update:

The Sobell is in the shop for some work. I'm having a couple of surface cracks attended to before they extend through the wood, having new tuners that fit all the existing holes put on, am having the splits above the soundhole made a bit less visible (they're already rock solid structurally), having the frets leveled and recrowned, the action raised just a hair, and a new nut (the old one had been shimmed and then very deeply grooved) and saddle (one string groove too wide) made. Except for the fact that one A string was buzzing because of the wide saddle groove, its sounded really quite spectacular. It's louder than I expected and very complex and mellow. The buzzing A string made for much irritation, however, so my pre-repair playing experience really wasn't enjoying it at anything near its best.

I kind of like the feel of the large body, at least sitting with it on my knee. This may be because I have other large-bodied instruments (octave mandolin, tenor guitar, tenor banjo). Also, I find the body shape gives pretty good neck access for as far up as I find myself needing to go (11 or 12 frets). The neck is quite wide but again, I like that. On narrower necks, I find I have problems getting pull-offs to ring cleanly without sounding the adjacent string. It's considerably easier to get them right on this neck.

The various repairs should run somewhere between $400 and $500, which is a hefty chunk of change. But I bought it knowing the issues and what it would take to make it right. Several of the repairs (tuners, cleating surface cracks, nut replacement, and others) are more optional than necessary. Only the saddle and action affect playing. But I decided to get everything taken care of at once so that I can get it back in my hands in the knowledge that it'll stay there. The luthier I'm working with seems really competent and said it should be done in 5 or 6 weeks. That's a big improvement over the guy who has had my Howe-Orme, in for a neck reset, about two years now.

I'd love to compare this instrument to a small-bodied maple model, but I'm very happy with the sound of this one. I'm just curious to hear how the two differ. By the way Kevin, as we speak, a copy of Polbain to Oranmore is on its way to me from Elderly. I've been meaning to get one and when I ordered a few sets of strings for the Sobell, I thought that would be an especially apt time to order a copy. I've only heard raves and I'm looking forward to getting it.
    Bob DeVellis

Default Re: No Sobell after all

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    You might try Peter Daffy of Camperdown, Vic., Australia. The exchange rate at least will be slightly more favourable.
    His web-page doesn't show mandolins but I've heard that he makes them and they're highly recommended. He played with Luke Plumb before Luke joined Shooglenifty so he will know what you want.
    Hey there, can't speak highly enough of Peter's work. I have a bouzouki, mandolin and guitar from him. In all honesty they are equal with the best examples of each instrument I have ever seen. I love my G Christ F5 and would never trade it but the Daff mando is a real killer. Some people prefer it to the G Christ.

Worth a look...
    Luke

xoxo
    Last edited by TheOldCoot; Jul-17-2012 at 3:41pm. Reason: oops, it's an old post

Delighted you got the instrument, one way or another, and I prefer the rosewood body to the maple, just sounds more like the classic Sobell sound we love. That's kind of you to get the cd too, I hope you enjoy it - its out of print more or less now.
    Hopefully, you can put a wee film or clip up of yours once its sorted? This might amuse ...

best frae Scotland, Kevin

13. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

One Sobell popped up here .....
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/63065