Thread: bridge for antique?

Default bridge for antique?

Hi,
    I just got a Mandolin off of Ebay that I think is from the early 1900s. It looks like a bowlback Mayflower, but if there was a Mayflower tag there, it's gone now. There is no bridge. Does it need a special kind, or can I just order a regular one online? Thanks!!

Default Re: bridge for antique?

This is probably a good question for the classical section but basically:

* You will need a non-adjustable rosewood or ebony bridge suitable for use on a flattop instument and not one of the arch-top adjustable bridges that you will see normally for sale for mandolins.
    * You will need to be familiar with fitting a bridge to the top, and adjusting to height - although as these instruments are often inexpensive, this may be a good instrument to learn these skills on
    * You will need to use ultra-light gauge strings to avoid over-stressing the instrument - most bowlbacks are lightly built and quite fragile.

BTW David Hynds is a good source of bridges for all sorts of vintage and classical instruments: http://www.mandolinluthier.com/mandolin-bridges.htm.

One further data point: you may find that to get a decent action, the bridge can end up very low indeed (see photo).

And finally... normally the frets on these old instruments need some attention as well

But... don't let any of the above put you off, the better bowl backs can make nice instruments, and be great fun to put back into playable condition!

HTH, John.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3631.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	46612  

Thanks so much! I already got the ultralight strings. That link is super helpful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 74.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	46634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 69.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	46635  

I'll second John in recommending you go for one of Dave Hynds' bridges, or else make a bridge blank form scratch. Bridges intended for modern flattops are likely to be far too chunky for a bowlback, and adjustable archtop bridges simply won't work as they're much much too tall. For most Neapolitan-style bowlbacks (including virtually all US-made bowlbacks), the bridge will end up somewhere between 5 and 10 mm tall once fitted. Roman-style bowlbacks have slightly taller bridges, as well as arched saddles, but yours is not one of those.

Most bowlbacks are designed for wooden bridges with bone saddles (brass saddles for a small minority). All wood bridges, as used on most modern instruments, rob them of some of their characteristic crisp trebles.

Martin