Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Classical Mandolin

Default New Classical Mandolin

Friends and Colleagues, the all-new Labraid Orchestral --

This mandolin features 34 fluted staves, a scale length of 13", 1+1/8" nut width, 27 stainless steel frets, 16:1 tuners, spruce lined maple bowl, Engelmann spruce top, and hide glue construction. She'll be making her debut in Dayton, Ohio October 28th. Hoping to see many of you there!

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Default Re: New Classical Mandolin

That's beautiful work Brian. I'm sure she sounds as good as she looks.

Blog Entries

Exquisite. Congratulations.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Crikey, that's sexy.

Beautiful! I'll be looking forward to giving it a try in Dayton.

John G.

Another reason why checking in at the Cafe is always a good thing to do.

This mandolin looks very "dense" and complex to me. Many fine details and everything seems to be very organic. The bowl looks as if it were a creature, maybe a aquatic creature. And I really like the headstock, maybe a touch of modern design here, but very subtl.
    This is a very beautiful mandolin and a successful design. Thanks for the nice pictures.

Wow, what a beauty.

Fliss

Congrats Brian! Looks awesome.
    Jonathan R.

"Music is my mistress and she plays second fiddle to no one." Duke Ellington

A fine-looking instrument, if I ever saw one. Bravo, Brian!
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

That is gorgeous! If I only had the money...

Wow! Beautiful work there.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Thanks very much, all. I'll admit that I did make an attempt to give this mandolin something "organic". I share the opinion of luthier Keith Hill on the subject of perfection:

"I have observed that there is a profound effect on the souls of those who play an instrument which is "dirty" and obviously "used". That effect is what I call "amicis utiorum" or user friendliness. The impulse to touch an object that appears like someone else has already used and appreciated the object is both immediate and invited. That is players feel like the instrument is inviting them to touch and play the instrument. Instruments which are pristine in every way send the clear and opposite message: Noli me Tangere! or don't touch me."

While it has not yet been "used", it certainly has been appreciated on its brief sejour in the shop. The use of hand tools and the simple fact of brushing on a home-made varnish, etc, etc.. give the instrument a character I hope players will find "warm", despite its overall newness.

If it is the played and well loved look you are after, you could send it to me for a week or two, then I can ship it so that it meets you at the 2009 CMSA Convention in Dayton .

Well done Brian!
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Holy blowlback, Batman...that is lovely.

Nice work, Brian. I wish I could make it to Dayton (or Nova Scotia) to chekc it out in person. Ah, some day!! BTW is the fretboard radiused?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, it sure is. Most stark near the nut per my standard, flat across the tops at the bridge. We'll catch up some day, maestro...

Blog Entries

I am curious about the dampers in the strings between the bridge and the tail piece. Were they part of the design from the beginning, or a last minute tweaking of the sound?

You hit the mark, I must say, in making an instrument that calls me to play it, hold it, or just change its strings.

Beautiful.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Very nice!

One question: as your overall design is clearly Embergher-inspired, I wonder why you decided for the all-ebony bridge Embergher used on his student and lower orchestral models, rather than the bone saddle version on his concert bridges? Did you try both and prefer the all-ebony tone?

Martin

Thanks, Jeff! Damping the strings at center is more effective than at the string ends. That really is the extent of why I place them where I do. They don't always photograph well, so I suppose it depends on my mood if they make it into the final pictures or not.

Martin, the question could become very deep because tone itself is not a very easy question to answer.. But in essence, this is an orchestral, and it is my intent to be true to the final intent of each instrument as an individual. I aim to always build for "best in class", and would never skimp on a detail that actually improved tone for the sake of economy. The bone saddle simply does not improve the tone of the orchestral in my opinion, it simply nudges it toward soloist tone.. Some aged and/or poorly built instruments lacking brightness will benefit from a bone saddle, thus bringing them up maybe closer to the tone we would expect, but no saddle will make an orchestral into a soloist, or vice-versa. At least, it should not, the two being very different beasts. Thanks Martin!

Beautifull work!
    Bravo Brian!

Blog Entries

Looks like spar varnish to me. The fret markers are very nice. Another winner Brian. Very nice.

For the varnish, all-natural sticklac (bug legs and twigs included, of course ) is blended with naturally-occurring almond benzoine, gum mastic, Manila copal, and up to five other traditional resins in a high-grade alcohol. Left to saturate for a month and then filtered, the resulting varnish is quite hard, smells incredibly nice, and is food-grade -- it contains absolutely nothing artificial/man-made.

Food-grade varnish! Man, you sure know how to tantalize...

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

So, if you're lost in the desert with nothing but your mandolin...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls