Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a licker?

Default Re: Are you a licker?

I confess I haven't shied away from occasional licking, and I'm still ticking.
    Same here.
    John

Walnut and horses isn't a myth, but a well known issue. Below is an excerpt from the following page if y'all don't want to read the whole thing:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...cts/walnut.htm

.................................................. ..

Black walnut (Juglans nigra) and butternut (Juglans cineraria) are native to southwestern Ontario and the eastern USA. The greatest concern for horse owners is the presence of black walnut or butternut in the bedding material causing laminitis or founder in horses. Black walnut is highly prized for use in furniture. Therefore, shavings and sawdust from furniture factories, and sawmills processing black walnut, should not be used for horse bedding unless there is a way to keep the black walnut shavings separate from other shavings. Pollen of black walnut has been implicated in causing laminitis in horses. (1) A disease investigation, by the author (Wright), determined that the consumption of hulls of the fruit of black walnut was the probable cause of laminitis in a pony.
    Toxicity

It is well known that juglone is produced by the members of the juglans species of trees. It is secreted through the roots to inhibit germination and growth of various species of plants that try to establish within the root zone of the tree. Researchers, however, have been unsuccessful in reproducing laminitis by applying either black walnut shavings or juglone to horses' feet. However, the ingestion by horses of aqueous extracts of heartwood consistently reproduces the laminitis syndrome. (2) This is at odds with the field occurrences of this toxicity, which suggests that a topical exposure rather than ingestion is the route of the toxicity.

Fallen walnuts that have become moldy may contain the mycotoxin 'penitrem A', which is a neurotoxin capable of poisoning livestock and other animals, if ingested. (3)

.................................................. ...................

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    ...But now I realize that this metal maniac may be curious about a possible finish on his fingerboard....
    Actually, this was how they tuned before the Intellitouch.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Actually, this was how they tuned before the Intellitouch.
    Hmmmm...There's sharp cheese and flat soda pop......Yeah, I guess I can see that.

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    It seems that I can remember a poster or publicity shot of one of the KISS band members with his freaky long tongue extended down to the fingerboard of his guitar. Until now I always assumed that this was done just for whatever kind of publicity that kind of behavior gets you. But now I realize that this metal maniac may be curious about a possible finish on his fingerboard. Interesting, the things you pick up around here.
    Mr. Tongue is Gene Simmons, one of the most shallow, vile humans ever to disgrace the planet. He might pose with a guitar once in awhile, but he hates fingerboards, and would never lick one. His lingual display has entirely other connotations. If you want to get the real picture on this miserable wretch (hope he doesn't lurk here!), go to the archives of Fresh Air from WHYY in Philly and listen to Terry Gross's extraordinary interview with him. Actually, don't bother - I just looked and he's apparently legally blocked the archive edition. I wish you could hear it. His prehensile tongue is only the beginning.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Running one's tongue over the freshly cut surface of some of our local timbers definitely doesn't float my boat. Besides the pain of splinter, the possibility of a toxic reaction is a very real hazard.

I do use the 'ol nose a lot, especially with our local "maples" (not Acer, but Flindersia). Often times the only sure way of determining the species of milled, rainforest Flindersia is by smell. An interesting odour is produced by our Queensland Black Walnut (not a true walnut by the way). When milled the stuff gives off the aroma of what we call a "technicolour yawn" or vomit.<g>
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com

Thumbs down Re: Are you a licker?

There seem to be options for finding the interview.

The NPR archive only was blocked - or the web archive?

A google search should get you there, and if it the website you find has it deleted, input the URL here :

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

I won't.
    Anonymous

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hostetter View Post
    ... (hope he doesn't lurk here!) ...
    So you finally tumbled onto my true identity - well, good for you! You guys are so mean! I may have this macho stage persona, but I'm really a sensitive singer/songwriter at heart. That's the meanest thing anyone's said to me since I broke up with Cher. That's right, I broke up with her, never mind what the tabloids said. And get it right - I play bass, not guitar! Phooey! :P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KissGenePlasmaLeft.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	46058  
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I think it's pesonal taste.
    Jim Richmond

reminds me of a SNL skit with bill murray and steve martin.. "What the @#*! is that?"..where steve say's "Don't put your lips on it "...i've always followed this rule,i never put my lips,or in this case my tongue,anywhere it shouldn't be..just ain't right...
    and we all know what happened to Yukon Cornelius,one time he forgot to sniff before he licked..
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

This string is just too funny...... and entertaining. Once I licked a Brazilian Rosewood slab and did get a sliver.. Thereafter I used a spray bottle of distilled water. Keep it on the bench to show customers how unfinished wood will look with clear finish on it... Didn't know the different wood shavings would affect animals, but makes perfect sense. In my case I guess you could say...... ready......." BAD LICK"... Kenc
    KMUZ Community Radio
    www.kmuz.org

I've heard a lot of mandolin players talk about learning and playing "licks," but I had an idea that meant something different...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I would never lick an exotic hardwood, however I have been known to lick end grain maple when using a plane or knife on small pieces.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I've heard a lot of mandolin players talk about learning and playing "licks," but I had an idea that meant something different...?
    Martin Mull has a song, the chorus of which goes:

I see you getting all warm and ____
    From my guitar and the way my fingers burn.
    I hate to disillusion you honey,
    But it's just licks off of records that I've learned.

Same goes for mandolinists, natch. Or so they hope ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I'm more of a spitter and then rubbing in.

When you're in a wood store and want to get some idea of what the wood will look like with some finish on it you need to wet the wood. Taking out some solvent or another in the store is not a good idea. You're trying to be somewhat inconspicuous.

The reason you don't get much of a reaction when licking is that you are putting out a barrier of spit (OK saliva). The barrier protects. You aren't picking much up but you're laying a lot down.

Blog Entries

I had a friend who knew someone who got very sick from wood dust. Wasn't wearing a mask. I have always thought it was just the wood dust, but perhaps one can have a reaction to a particular kind of wood dust.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Is a lick the same as a riff? If I play riffs, does that make me a "riffer?"

Bob
    re simmers

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

I'm a Pepper.....wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Blog Entries

Peppy Pete - the Mando Maniac! 10-2-4 WOO-HOO!

All right - no more caffeine for me today! ... ...

And Bob ... yes, and yes. But I doubt that riffing on a piece of unfinished wood is going to be very productive ...

I forgot the category......wood.

Bob
    re simmers

I'm a spitter.

There is a lot of fun to be had here but there is also a very serious concern for some folks. Some woods are sensitizers, that means the more exposure you have to them the more severe your reaction. Mario's reference to poison oak and ivy is right on, for some folks. Just for safety's sake consider ALL wood dust as dangerous to breathe, it can and does cause nasal cancer.

I usually use water or naphtha to wet wood to see how it would darken with finish.

I know several people that bite wood to feel the resistance and texture, some taste wood to identify it. I use my thumb nail and nose for the same.

After reading jim n virginia's story about always wearing a mask (and being ridiculed), it makes me wonder how many builders out there do wear masks regularly? I always wear one when sanding or anytime I know there are going to be tiny little particles (wood, plastic, etc) floating around. After seeing the list from MIMF regarding toxicity I think this is along the same line as the OP's question.

Ask Spruce about one guitar with HIS tongue print on the back, very funny story. I'm a licker too. I have noticed in the last two years that I have become VERY sensitive to dust of all kind. I guess I should have worn a mask since I started 25 years ago.

I once owned a '70's Plymouth which had a cooling/heater problem. Max, the mechanic stuck his fingers in the radiator and then tasted the antifreeze/water. He did it a second time. Then Max said, "Bob, you don't have enough antifreeze in there." I don't think that can be healthy........about like licking wood.
    re simmers