Thread: Gary Price Mandolin?

Default Gary Price Mandolin?

I've been the original owner a Gary Price A-style mandolin since '96 and was just curious if there were any others on the list that own one of these. It just keeps getting better and better.

Thanks, Tim

Default Re: Gary Price Mandolin?

No others yet. I'm kinda surprised.

I'm originally from OK and have played a handful of Gary's mandolins. I've always wanted one but never had the $$ together when one came available. There aren't many of them out there. He was doing good to build 1-2 a year when I met him almost 10 years ago. I think he focused on cases and just building what he wanted instead of taking orders or producing large numbers. Last time I was at his house (this was probably 7-8 yrs ago) he had made a really cool archtop guitar.

There is/was a bluegrass band in OK called High Ground that Gary played banjo in. Their mando player picked one of Gary's fancy F5s. That was a darn good mandolin!

There was an F5 style for sale a few months ago at Vintage Mandolins, I was curious as to where it ended up. I just couldn't come up with the cash at the time. Really wanted the matched set

Looks like Gary has one of his F5s for sale on his site.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

There's one in my shop for repairs right now, I don't know if the owner is a member here. I think it's the first one I've seen.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Thereīs one in Belgium. Itīs not super loud but looks very nice and reportedly records and mics very well.
    Olaf

Smile Re: Gary Price Mandolin?

Bit of a late response but I have only just seen this thread. The Gary Price F5 Delux model that was for sale by Charles Johnson (if this is the one referred to) actually ended up in the UK. It`s a beautiful mandolin and the workmanship has the feel of personal endeavor about it unlike some eye-wateringly expensive mando`s that are effectively shaped by copy routers and other sophisticated machinery. The violin oil finish also adds to the character - this is one mando that I will be keeping for good.

Mike Patton

Gary Price did a lot of work to my mystery mandolin (see avatar) in the mid-70's for another member of High Ground, Ron Mashore. It sounds great, Ron played it for 20 years before buying a Price mando and trading it in to Gary who then sold it to the guy I bought it from, Reg'lar Dave. Ron told me that He Loves the Price mandolin almost as much as he loved the mystery mando... I noticed today on ebay there is a Price Artist mandolin. They look great and I'm told they sound amazing.... Perry
    Last edited by Perry Babasin; Jul-15-2010 at 6:04pm.
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    There is/was a bluegrass band in OK called High Ground that Gary played banjo in. Their mando player picked one of Gary's fancy F5s. That was a darn good mandolin!
    That's it Shaun!! Ron gave me the whole history of High Ground and Dr. Price in a lengthy phone conversation when I first bought "Mystery" (that's her new name, ha,ha,ha)

There is a Price F5 in the DVD documentary "Bluegrass Journey", in one of the campground jam scenes. They sound great... I don't know how many he built (I don't think he is building anymore) but I see them often...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/babasin/5058555706/

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

MandoMutt has a very nice looking used Price A currently. NFI.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

I just purchased this Price https://www.gbase.com/gear/gary-pric...prototype-1995 and it's a killer! Huge hollow but rich tone all the way up and down.
    Aaron Garrett

14. The following members say thank you to Garrett for this post: