Thread: Kentucky KM-855

Default Kentucky KM-855

Does anyone have (had) a Kentucky KM-855 or know about them and if so could you comment on it for me. Thank you in advance.

--Duane
    "....if you can't find a way out...go deeper in..."

Eastman 805D
    Fender 53S SB

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: Kentucky KM-855

I had one. It was OK, but honestly, my km505 that I have now sounds just as good, and cost half as much. Also, I didn't care for the dark finish--It was so dark you couldn't see the flame on the back.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I'd go for one of the Eastman's you mentioned in another thread over the KM-855. Or save a bit more and go for the Kentucky KM1000..

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

For the price I got mine, it's great. (It was a new-but-blem'd example from Saga's eBay store that I got for $495. Hairline crack in the fingerboard binding and a few smudges in the headstock binding. Playability is unaffected.)

The finish on mine is dark, but not too dark that you can't enjoy the flame in the maple. Now, I bought it having no other experience with nice mandolins. I sold a Mid-Mo M2 to get it, and this seems like a vast improvement in playability and tone. I'm still a hopeful novice on mandolin, but I see me hanging on to this one as a beater even if I upgrade.

Now, would I pay full price for a new 855? Nope. I'd save up a bit more and get a used KM1000 or upper-level Eastman ... or even a Weber Gallatin (one showed up in the Classifieds here for $1200 not too long ago.)

But at $495, it lets me get my feet wet with no risk whatsoever.

Here are the specs from Extramusical for the KM-855

Product: KENTUCKY ARTIST F-MODEL MANDOLIN
    Item Number: KM-855

Kentucky mandolins continue to be today’s best value in hand-made professional quality instruments that can be afforded by all. The KM-855 is a particularly fine example of just how the finest materials are joined together to create an instrument who's look is second only to its tone! Each Artist series f-model mandolin is hand carved and graduated from the finest mountain spruce and northern maple for the best tonal characteristics. Setting this model apart is the choice of a beautiful ebony fingerboard with the elaborate "Bella Voce" inlay pattern and matching peghead overlay. Rest assured that each mandolin produces a rich, powerful tone in an instrument true to the tradition in every way.

# Solid, hand-carved and graduated select spruce top
    # Solid, hand-carved select highly flamed maple back and sides
    # Vintage high-gloss Nitrocellulose lacquer amberburst finish
    # One piece maple neck with dovetail neck/body joint at 15th fret
    # Radiused fingerboard with modern extension over the body
    # Bound ebony neck with "Bella Voce" fingerboard and matching peghead overlay
    # Vintage-style bridge with small adjustment wheels
    # Traditional 2-screw truss rod cover plate
    # Bone nut
    # Highly polished nickel silver frets
    # High-quality gold-plated Gotoh tuners with engraved plate and removable buttons
    # Shop adjusted
    # Suggested Retail Price: $1,195.00

There have been some lightly used KM-1000's in the classified. I bough one there a few months back.
    A great sounding mando.
    Terry
    Arkansas Picker
    "Enjoying the Challenge"
    Crystal Forest Mandolins web site
    Facebook page

<personal solicitation removed by moderator>
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Dec-01-2009 at 4:30pm. Reason: Transactions belong in Classifieds
    Per Mandolin Cafe Guidelines Please know I am a vendor of Mandolin products.

I have a Kentucky KM-855. Wonderful mandolin! Usually retails at about $1100 but I got it at Instrument Alley for $700 including the case. They didn't set it up but I had my guy here at Rockhaus in Milwaukee do a job on it. Sounds and plays great!