Thread: Samual Swain Stewart Mandolins?

Default Samual Swain Stewart Mandolins?

I have an attic find and was wondering if anybody had any info on these mandolins...

In my search so far I have found that he was primarily a banjo maker...

On the back of the head stock is a BJ certified instruments logo...

It has unique F holes, The main cut is separated from the S cut by 1/2 an inch or so

Any info?

Default Re: Samual Swain Stewart Mandolins?

I have an SS Stewart oval hole bent-top. Looks just like a Martin A-type but with a rosewood b&s.

I believe it's actually Samuel Swaim Stewart. I'm also pretty sure that their flatback mandolins weren't made by S. S. Stewart but perhaps by Weymann, or some other manufacturer. S. S. Stewart was, indeed, a big-time banjo maker and an aggressive marketer par excellence. A lot of the workers from S. S. Stewart, as I recall reading, moved to Weymann when the former company closed. The S. S. Stewart trademark had huge name recognition, so it was successfully licensed to other companies who wanted to market instruments (like mandolins) that Stewart really was never into.

It's been a while since I've dug into these details, so I may have some of them wrong, but I think this version of things is petty close. Others. please coreect any errors I've made.
    Bob DeVellis

Thanks for the correction. On the back is a BJ certified instruments logo, so I will investigate that further. Maybe they were a licensed maker. I am interested in who made this instrument, as it sounds sweet and dry. I am not sure of the wood, but I think it also has rosewood back and sides. It also has tortoise binding. The finish is in good shape with a little checking. I wish I could determine the tuners as well, they are quality.

B & J is presumably Buegeleisen & Jacobson, who bought the S S Stewart trademark from the Keenophone Co. in 1915. Mugwumps states that the B & J "S S Stewart" banjos were made by Slingerland, but doesn't speculate who made S S Stewart mandolins for B & J.

If you post a pic, someone may be able to say "That looks like a -------".
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks Allen...that is a huge help. What is mugwumps? I love the sleuthing. The instrument has no visible signature, but does have a serial number. Maybe Buegeleisen & Jacobson will have some record? I will post a picture as soon as I figure out the process. You all have been a great wealth of information, keep it coming

Scott

A picture posted will probably take you farther in your search faster. I suspect it will be revealed quite quickly. Segmented f holes point two places.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Here are a couple of shots of the SS Stewart mandolin, its going for a fresh set up on Monday...any other info about this mando or company is greatly appreciated. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3824187522_fffd2082e2_m.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	45077

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3823382091_e01ef53dd0_m.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	45078

Name:	3823381565_a22d6ae0a2_m.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	45079

Name:	3824183780_d143c7f3d3_m.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	45080

Name:	3824183418_465fd2914b_m.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	45081

Name:	3824183214_9d7d7e7161_m.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	45082

Hi, Scott

Well, it's certainly Chicago-made, & I'd be leaning toward Harmony as the maker..though Regal or Kay are also a possibility ( Regal the more likely of the two ).

Can you tell us what the numbers inside are ? If it's a series of numbers with the letter H in the middle, it's a Harmony for sure..

Nice lookin' little mando

Here is a page from my late 1930s/early 1940s B&J catalog. Yours is the number 3 pictured on the lower right. Sorry for the Benday dots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sstewart_mandos.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	330.2 KB 
ID:	45085  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

SS Stewart Snow Queen from Tone Poems 1. The f-holes are different but here is the description:
    THE “RICHES TO RAGS” EFFECT OF THE 1929 stock market crash and subsequent Great Depression of the early ‘30s was felt strongly in the musical instrument trade. Many manufacturers and distributors of guitars and mandolins quickly shifted their focus to the creation of an extensive line of low-budget, cheaply made instruments. Many of these bargins were made available through large mail-order houses such as Sears & Roebuck and Montgomery Ward, and often sold for under $10. The Regal Musical Instrument Company was one of the large Chicago-based instrument manufacturers and distributors that dealt primarily in such low-cost products.

The S.S. Stewart (originally a manufacturer of banjos) “Snow Queen” mandolin, with its white finish and embossed red logo and ski designs was probably produced by Regal. According to vintage-instrument expert George Gruhn, all of the S.S. Stewart arch-top guitars were made by Regal, and we are assuming that this is also true for the Snow Queen. Apparently sking was a big fad in the ‘30s, which is reflected artistically in many products of the time. This mandolin has a carved top with f-holes, and is a perfectly functional instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim~
    Thank you so much for taking the time to share, it was very enlightening. I wonder how it will sound with a fresh set up? It sounded really sweet in its found condition. It played pretty easily, except it had super high action. All the parts appear to be original. It was interesting to see that the wood was mahogany, I know it is not a widely used building medium. Do yo collect old instrument catalogs?

Thanks again
    Scott~o

It looks more Regal to me except for those Kay style F holes. Look at the side of the f holes, does it look like it was laminated?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by mandohi View Post
    Do yo collect old instrument catalogs?
    Yes, I have a few.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Yes, I have a few.
    Just a few?
    Bill Snyder

Sorry... I mean i have justa... Phew!!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Bill Snyder

Default Re: Samual Swaim Stewart Mandolins?

I have an SS Stewart guitar that's a perfect match to this mandolin - same materials, pressed plates, 3-piece f-holes, headstock overlay, purfling - and it's clearly a Harmony product. There were probably SS Stewart items also made by Kay and/or Regal, but I don't think this is one. The Tone Poems notes quoted above don't ring true for me.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Quote Originally Posted by mandohi View Post
    Here are a couple of shots of the SS Stewart mandolin, its going for a fresh set up on Monday...any other info about this mando or company is greatly appreciated.
    Did you get it set up? Is it playable?
    Bill Snyder

I did indeed get it back from the shop. I ended up replacing the bridge, because the 'original' was not adjustable to a height that was suitable to my liking (action was too high). The nut had to be filed some and the frets were dressed. It sounds pretty decent, a little hollow. It is woody and dry though, I don't know if that is a characteristic of mahogany or not? All in all I think it was worth the ten dollars at the rummage sale. Thanks to all of you for the help, it was very informative.