Thread: Over the Hills and Far Away tab posted

Blog Entries

Default Over the Hills and Far Away tab posted

Hi all

I've posted Part 1 of tab for Zeppelin's Over the Hills and Far Away at my website jimrichter.com.

This is the intro up until the electric guitar comes in at the rocker part.

I've held off tabbing this because 1) I wasn't happy with my playing in the YouTube video (I was still figuring some stuff out regarding rock arrangements) and 2) my skills as a transcriber were sub-par.

But, I think I've written out something usable. Hope you enjoy!

Default Re: Over the Hills and Far Away tab posted

Jim, I can't believe you play The Stumble by Freddie King. I thought I was the only guy that played that kinda stuff on mando. I play San-Ho-Zay, In the Open, and of course, Hideaway, too. He also does Remington Ride, which a lot of bluegrass guys pick.

Love Freddie King. Awesome voice, dead on playing with fire, and great instrumentals. Is Freddie King the Bill Monroe of Blues? Could his songs be played like fiddle tunes at jams??? Deep thoughts? I guess Hideaway does have a lot of parts. They would be jambusters....

Maybe you can help me as a blues and bluegrass guy like myself. Why can't blues guys figure out the bluegrass formula of jamming acoustic in a round robin jam??? The whole go to an electric jam and waiting for your 3 songs to shine (after the house band starts at 10pm and brings their friends up 1st) is sooo lame.

There's tons of bluegrass jams here in Colorado, but no acoustic blues jams.

I knew blues before I knew bluegrass so I'm facinsated in how "perfect" the bluegrass formula works. Now that I know it, it kills me that blues guys (and folk and jam band folks) can't figure out the round robin formula where everyone gets to shine and pick... all night. Bluegrass jammers know how to jam. Period.

Not just 3 songs and go home.

Love to hear your feedback. Maybe I'll start a discussion. Either way, Freddie King rocks!!!!!!!

Oh and so does Zep, my 1st musical obsession and the beginning of many...........................

Thank you very much Jim. This is yet another great song I will work slavishly on.

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post
    Hi all

I've posted Part 1 of tab for Zeppelin's Over the Hills and Far Away at my website jimrichter.com.

This is the intro up until the electric guitar comes in at the rocker part.

I've held off tabbing this because 1) I wasn't happy with my playing in the YouTube video (I was still figuring some stuff out regarding rock arrangements) and 2) my skills as a transcriber were sub-par.

But, I think I've written out something usable. Hope you enjoy!
    Thanks very much, Jim! I very much appreciate your work, and I'm very grateful for your efforts.

I'm new to Mandolin and I'm eager to learn songs which I already know (easier for me). This is a great help.

Cheers.