Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lyrical mistakes.

Default Re: Lyrical mistakes.

This thread has just GOT to be one of the best ever - thank's for the laughs folks,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

A previous boyfriend of my now ex-wife sang to her Bob Marley's classic "I Don't Want to Wait All Day For Your Love". He was impatient, but he waited in vain (that day, anyway).
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

And has anyone ever sung "Just a bowl of butterbeans, pass the cornbread if you please, I don't want no collard greens" when the rest of the congregation was singing "Just a Closer Walk With Thee"? (Sorry, but I never learned the rest of the verses because my Mama would slap the s##t of me first!)

As long as we're ressurrecting a 5 yr. old thread...I've got one:

One line in Gordon Lightfoot's song 'Early Morning Rain' is "I'm stuck here on the grass, with a pain that ever grows".
    The last part of that line was misheard so commonly to be "where the pavement never grows", that it was recorded that way by more than a few subsequent singers, including Elvis.

I guess it ain't that funny, just true.

Billy Joel's The Stranger has a line: 'When I pressed her for a reason she refused to even answer.'

What I heard, on first (half-) listening, was: 'When I dressed up as a weasel she refused to be the master.'

Don't even ask me how I got that. My speech processing has always been kinda iffy; I was always the kid they could count on to send a game of Telephone right off the rails, too. Oddly enough, I've usually found it easier to pick out sung words than spoken ones.

I still think there's some good potential in a reworking of that Billy Joel lyric, though.
    Northfield F2S
    Howard Morris A-4
    Eastman DGM3 Mandola
    Eastman MD805PGE
    Miscellaneous tingums

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I do hope some of you have seen this. One of my favorite videos of all time.

I mean, really - who knows what the heck he was saying anyway? Of course, this is intentional mishearing - or is it? This is just one man's interpretation, and for all we know, he could have been right. Thing is, thanks to the power of suggestion, the captions really line up well, and now I can't listen to the song without thinking of this.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

7. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Dave Matthews' "Crash" says, "hike up your skirt a little more, and show your world to me." First time I heard it, I heard,"hike up your skirt, little boy, and show your world to me." Thank God for album liners, or I would have never listened to those guys again...
    Chuck

Blog Entries

I heard an interview with whoever sang that song that we all know as "Ena Gadda Davida". It wasn't a Jersey accent. He said they were all so totally blitzed (he used that inimitable hippy expression about being "really effed up, man") that he didn't have any control of his mouth. And to think of all the hours my friends and I spent trying to figure out what language it was!
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    ...or I would have never listened to those guys again...
    You wouldn't have missed all that much
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I do hope some of you have seen this. One of my favorite videos of all time.

OK, I'm sending this to all my Boomer/Stoner friends. It's awesome. Thank you thank you thank you. Though you know I will never be able to listen to this again without laughing and not being able to explain.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

12. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks. Sorry. Welcome to the club.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Journeybear, that's wicked, thanks very much!

Elvis Presley is reported to have said to Elton John when they were introduced "Ain't you the guy who wrote "Don't let your son go down on me"?"
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

Hold me closer Tony Danza
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

This has driven me nuts for years:

"I'll Be There For You (Theme From Friends)"

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
    Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
    It's like you're always stuck in second gear
    When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year, but
    I'll be there for you ...

I could swear they were singing "I'll sneak your mouth into your ear." Seriously. I've heard this damn song a bajillion times, and it's still "I'll sneak your mouth into your ear." And I have spooky good hearing.
    "The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth) R.I.P. and say "ook" to the Librarian for me.

Blog Entries

There's actually something else about this song that has bothered me for a long time. It's a possibly minor but nagging logical flaw in the songwriting, coincidentally in that same line. It seems to me that the periods of time are in the exact reverse order that they should be in. That is, the logical flow should be that, even though it hasn't been your year, it could still be your month; barring that, even though it hasn't been your month, it could still be your week; etc., but not the opposite way. It's the adverb "even" that mucks it up. I know, it's a small thing (and besides, I could be wrong), but little things mean a lot, especially in grammar.

Well, I had been hoping my 9000th post would be somehow grander, befitting such a milestone, however arbitrary. Oh well!

On re-reading it (now that I know what the heck IT is), I think you're right. The "even" should, logically, apply to the minutest, most trivial time period to make sense. But I'm too busy staying permanently irritated at Jim Morrison's "for you and I," which effed up an otherwise great song for me. The Friends theme booboo is so minor next to that hangin' offense.

Congrats on your 9000th. Whoo boy, to think I got excited when I hit the 100 mark.
    Last edited by Ellen T; Jul-28-2014 at 12:35am. Reason: Forgot to make nice.
    "The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth) R.I.P. and say "ook" to the Librarian for me.

Blog Entries

Sort of a dubious achievement, that. Time possibly spent more productively otherwise, and all. Still, I do find formulating thoughts in this manner and communicating them to people who often know what the heck I'm talking, about - could actually be seen as productive, I suppose.

Yes, mismatching cases in pronouns is a pet peeve of mine, too. I hear it all the time from newscasters, who really ought to know better. Weird Al's latest takes aim at such gaffes:

Blog Entries

Oh dear, we are really at this point of discussion. My husband is famous for getting lyrics wrong. Please do not ask me how he does it.

We once listened to "Message in a bottle" by the Police. The lyrics: "A year has passed since I wrote my note." My husband heard and sang loudly and proudly to me: "A year has passed since I broke my nose." Naturally it had me in fits of laughter.
    The quote someone had of Elton John and Elvis? Absolutely hilarious and had me laughing out loud.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016