Thread: Lefty MAS

I know everyone says go play them all and then decide but if you are a lefty, there are few if any to play. I'm going to be able to spend less than 2K. As I see it, my options are MK or custom built A Style. I have identified 4 builders who will do an A style in my price range (Newell, Old Wave, Silver Angel, Muth). I would be interested in any comments about their mandolins and also if you think I have missed any builders.

I can only say what I would do. I would order a lefty Collings MT, which Collings' website says they will do. IMHO, that is the best sounding A style under $2K. It plays great and also looks great in a "no-frills" way, which I like. You probably would not have to wait as long as your would for a full custom build.

Wow!! - A mando player... with MAS(!) AND a "lefty" to boot!! - I'm gonna' light an extra candle for ya'.. Anyone care to guess what the ratio of right-handed vs. left-handed instruments built!?? - Although I do have a "lefty" mando-playing buddy ; he had a luthier "set up"/change the strings and make the related "adjustments" in order to play his r/h'd mando - an "F" no less!!.. ; does look kinda' strange seeing it played. But he's happy with it. Good hunting, my friend. Let us know how it goes.

Alan,

Your post has interesting timing for this lefty! I am a guitar player with 2 custom lefty guitars, and have had lefty MAS for the past 4 months. After doing a LOT of homework, I placed an order for a lefty A model with Ron Cole last week. (www.colemandolins.com)

He has been *awesome* to work with, and his mandolins are some of the best out there, from everything I've heard and read. Go to the archives at Comando-List and do a search on "Cole" - there are over 200 hits (including posts with "Nat King Cole" lol), and I haven't read a negative comment yet.

Ron has been building for a long time, is a mando player himself, and knows his stuff. A devoted Christian who plays mando in a bluegrass gospel band, and just a great guy to work with.

Tell Ron that I sent you, and he'll only charge you 5% extra.

Good luck - feel free to drop me a line at homedezignATaol.com, if you wish.

Gary Collier
    Atlanta

I have a Muth A style that I am really happy with. Larry is a great builder and a heck of a nice guy. Everyone who has played my mando has had nothing but praise for it. I took it to the shindig on the green tonight and people were comparing it to mandolins costing a lot more money. I really don't think you could go wrong with Larry Muth.
    Thanks!
    Wolfsong

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's another option: in addition to left- and right-handed mandos, there are also symmetrically- braced mandos. Some A-styles are built this way, and turning them into LH instruments is a matter of reversing and adjusting the bridge and nut. I'm no historian, but a good player in my area once told me some of the old Gibson A's were made this way.

This Capek A5 has symmetrical bracing and could be easily set up for left-handed playing.

August W
    http://www.galleryofstrings.com
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Hello There A.L. As a fellow lefty, here's my $00.02. I have a couple of great lefty Collings guitars and am now about 1.5 years from the top of Michael Heiden's list for an F style. I had a nice Weber Yellowstone varnish lefty which I just sold to put into the Heiden. Gibson sent me a short e-mail saying they wouldn't make me a lefty Master Model. I will be playing a Collings MT until the Heiden is made. Over the years I have had a couple of typical lefty custom, bad sight unseen experiences from both G**** and M****. Both of my Collings ( mahogany and braz. rosewood dreadnaughts) turned out to be terrific instruments. For under $2000 I think it's tough to beat the Collings MT.
    Regards
    Doc

I play lefty and I've only owned one instrument that was originally made left handed. Both my collings guitar and mandolin are right handed instruments that I switched over to lefty myself. I seems to work just fine. Some say that asymetrical bracing will affect the sound. Some say it wont. My instruments sound good. Obviously, buying a real lefty is preferrable, but not the only one option.

FYI, there is a used, factory made lefty Weber Bridger in the classifieds.

A.L.,
    As another lefty with MAS,I can relate to the problem. I have owned right handed mandos that were reversed and I have had 3 mandos built by different luthiers over the years. My main instrument is an '83 Hutto Master Model and my back up is an F model built by Bernard Allen. Most major builders and every small independant I talked to will build you an instrument. I don't think the risk of a custom order is that great. I have been very satisfied with the sound and workmanship in all of them. Just use someone you are comfortable with. Best of luck!

TO all who replied, thanks.

Mando Johnny and Doc: I really liked the idea of a Collings MT but their UP CHARGE for a left handed A style was $400!! Puts it out of my price range.

I believe that both the Cole and Capek would also take me over the $2K limit.

As for the Bridger in the classifieds, I currently have a Mid-Mo and would really prefer an F hole for my next mandolin.

The thought of converting a used Collings is interesting but, there is a used MT2 for $1800 which when converted takes me pretty close to the self imposed limit of $2K.

I guess this means I'll have to pick a builder and get a custom made left handed instrument.

You may want to contact Audey Ratliff - he is in the builder directory here at the cafe. He is a left handed mando player and right good luthier. I have heard his left handed F model and his left handed mandocello. Both induced me to get one each for a right handed player.

A.L. The answer with the Collings A is to change out the nut and the bridge saddle on a right handed model.

Doc

Another suggestion would be to check into Rigel mandolins. They make some A styles under $2K. As a fellow lefty I feel your pain.

Don Jeffcoat