Thread: The Loar + Sumi???

Default The Loar + Sumi???

Anybody know anything about Sumi making Custom Shop The Loar mandolins? I was doing some Googling and came across this...

http://www.instrumentalley.com/Produ...CS-ES&click=35

From the description, it looks like a Sumi mandolin with The Loar on the headstock.

I'm confused...
    Steve Perry
    Sumi SF5 Birdseye

"Quit thinkin'... Just play"

Default Re: The Loar + Sumi???

I own 2 great Sumi mandolins. I found a few sites advertising a Sumi/Greg Rich Loar mandolin being available from a custom shop. As far as I know, Sumi is not involved with these mandolins but his name is always attached to them. They also use the same description of actual Sumi mandolins especially in mentioning the rare old Japanese Red spruce tops that I think only Sumi has access to. I'm somewhat curious and confused about what the deal is. Sumi builds a great mandolin. I like them so much I created a myspace page for all of us who own a Sumi built mando.

i wouldn't let it confuse you. i also own 2 great Sumi mandolins. i'd only buy one with Sumi on the headstock..
    Code:
    Code:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 sumi's front.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	34793  
    mandolinosoarus rex

Contact Scott Zimmerman. He could probably give you the whole story.

Considering a dealers description of the build and workmanship of the current The Loar mandolins, it would be difficult to confuse these with those made by Sumi.

You are correct Jeff H. Probably more interesting than confusing about why Sumi's name is being associated with these custom shop mandolins. I've not played one of these custom shop Loars. Maybe they'll have some at IBMA. Scott and Sumi will probably be at IBMA.

When they first announced production of "The Loar" mandolins they said there would be Sumi built custom "The Loar" mandolins. The prices stated were in the 5-6k price range. I do not know what if anything came of that.
    Bill Snyder

I spoke to Greg Rich Last week about the LM-600-VS and possible up-coming models, and he was mentioning Sumi's involvement with setting up production of the LM-600-VS, but it never turned to Sumi custom shop versions. Of course, I didn't ask.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I believe Sumi had supplied one of his own Sumi F5 Ferns as a prototype for the Loar mandolin and the Loar logo was added. Maybe Scott Z can give us some info. I'm just wondering about all of these mandos advertised as Sumi Loar custom shop mandos if he didn't have a hand in making them.

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

If you read the description carefully, it doesn't say that it comes from Sumi's shop just that it's a custom shop mando built from Sumi and Rich's design. Easy to read something into that statement though...
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

I'm supposed to be getting one. I'll bring it to IBMA if it comes in. Make up your own mind on "The Loar"
    Stephen Perry

I need to correct my earlier post. I spoke with The Music link today and Sumi was not involved with the LM-600-VS. Maybe we were talking about the custom shop models after all. The mind plays interesting tricks when you have not had enough caffeine.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Robert

Thank you for your post. Im going to post a seperate topic to make sure this is CLEAR, at Sumi's request, as there has been some market confussion.

Eiichi Sumi was 100% responsible for all engineering, designing and building of the one "The Loar" Custom Shop mandolin built. No one on earth had any input but Sumi. The mandolin was built using Sumi's existing tooling. It is a Sumi master model with the The Loar logo, that's the only difference.

Further, Eiichi Sumi has not and never has contributed anything to the developement of the Loar mandolins, ever. In early discussions this was tossed around, but never progressed.

Sumi has a long relationship with the president of Musiclink going back 20 years and they are good friends, so this confusion needed to be corrected.

Scott