Thread: Saw the lovell sisters tonight

The Lovell Sisters are based less than an hour from here and they have played here a lot, but tonight was my first chance to see them live. I was really impressed, especially with the new material they introduced that will be included on their soon-to-be-released second CD. They have all developed as players and performers.

All of the girls have come along as musicians, and their vocal arrangements are phenomenal. They also work hard to entertain the crowd, and do a great job meeting and greeting.

For the equipment hounds, they were using two of the Bose systems and the sound and mix were excellent. Each musician used a pickup, and the guitar, mandolin and dobro also used a mic for solos. They are an LR Baggs band, using mostly Baggs pickups and several Paracoustic DI boxes. Rebecca was playing a pretty Duff with a Baggs Radius augmented by an SM57 for breaks. Her overall tone was excellent. She would also lean into a volume pedal for breaks, and I could never figure out if the pedal was changing the level of the pickup or the mic.

They are on their way to Europe for three weeks and then headed to the midwest. Check them out if you have a chance.
    Passernig #42

Seeing a teenage girl tear it up makes me want to quit. Sierra Hull comes to mind as well.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Quote Originally Posted by (biorkman @ Aug. 24 2008, 02:09)
    Seeing a teenage girl tear it up makes me want to quit. Sierra Hull comes to mind as well.
    Why don't you quit? I will hold your two nice mandolins for you in case you change your mind later.
    Passernig #42

That's very nice of you.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

I saw 'em up here in DC, outdoors, on a perfect summer night, about three weeks ago. To put it mildly: I was impressed.

They really are pretty spectacular. Their stage presence really brings to mind a rock band more than a bluegrass band. Their covers were well chosen and well-executed and I was suprised by the overall quality of their originals. Some did tend to fall on the overly sappy and sentimental - both lyrically and in terms of their rather tedious and toothless music, but that was far more the exception than the rule. Of course their musicianship and tightness as a band was superb.

I would highly recomend catching these girls. I will be very surprised if they remain small-time for much longer. It just seems like they have some real strong potential for a Dixie Chicks-type crossover. If that happens, it will make me even more appreciative to have seen them for free sitting about ten feet from the stage in a lawn chair.

Oh, and if there was to be a Sierra vs. Lovells rivalry (a la Stones v. Beatles) I think I'd fall behind the Lovells

Their Mgr. should get them on the Disney channel.
    I'm sure they would be a hit, not to mention a boost
    for their career.

I have heard that they've resisted any changes to their style in the pursuit of commerce. Good for them. However, I think they are a few years too late to catch the wave that Nickel Creek created for young people to get into bluegrass.
    Passernig #42

I think most of the tweens (and sadly, adults) who watch the Disney Channel for music would simply not get it. The Lovell's stuff just isn't perky, empty, shiny, chipper, and pre-packaged enough for that crowd.

I'm glad they've resisted any attempts to meddle with their style. I think one of the cool things they seem to be doing is sort've heading in a more country/bluegrass direction, rather than any attempt to stay true to traditional bluegrass. Again, it reminds me of the Dixie Chicks with more of a roots grounding, less gloss, and more soul. I think this is the kind of thing that could work really well in terms of commercial success on their terms. It's familiar enough to get play on commercial country radio but different enough that it will stand out. Plus, the obvious fact that they are all really good looking. Of course as lousy as commercial country radio has been for over a decade, it wouldn't be surprising for them to get completely ignored in favor of the next Sugarland

I was at the Lovell Sisters concert Saturday as well and they definitely rocked! I saw them at the same venue about a year and a half ago and they have tightened up their act considerably. More polished and professional with a couple of new backup musicians. Very approachable during the break. Rebecca 'insisted' that I checked out her mandolin when I asked what kind she played. (It is made in Australia is all I remember). Great girls and I wish them all the success, they deserve it. I am going to pick up their new CD as soon as it comes out-did they say October? I highly reccomend it.

Blog Entries

Don't discount all of the music on Disney. I really like the Dan Zanes stuff for the kids. I also don't think the Lovell Sisters are past the moment to bring kids into the acoustic or bluegrass scene. While I always seem to be getting older, the kids group remains young. There are more everyday. Good music, performed honestly will resonate, and I believe the Lovell Sisters fill that bill nicely.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by (JEStanek @ Aug. 26 2008, 13:13)
    I also don't think the Lovell Sisters are past the moment to bring kids into the acoustic or bluegrass scene. While I always seem to be getting older, the kids group remains young. There are more everyday. Good music, performed honestly will resonate, and I believe the Lovell Sisters fill that bill nicely.
    we can only hope that you're right

BTW, when I saw them, there were a bunch of little kids coming up for autographs afterwards. Hopefully they take the cue, demand mandolins, fiddles, and dobros from their parents, and take learning and playing this stuff with as much passion and pleasure as the rest of us