Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tone gard

Smile

Does anyone use a Tone Gard on their mandolin? If so, how do you like it? I would like some feed back on these. I'm thinking of getting one. I heard a man play his mandolin with it on and off. What a difference in volume. It sounded good on my Eastman too.

Thanks, Susan
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

Get one, ! ! the back of a mandolin has resonance too , and contact with your body dampens that .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I use one on my "Lawson" and I love it. I wanted to protect the back since it is a one-piece, but it definitely projects the volume out there. I have the "Deco" pattern model. It'll make your Eastman turn some heads!!!
    Molon Labe

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

I think you really answered your own question
    Those of us who have used them would almost unanimously agree with your assessment.
    If your playing style does not involve any contact between your body and the Mando back, then you won't hear any difference with a Tone-gard.

For me, when standing, there is no position that keeps the instrument away from my body that is even remotely comfortable or natural - i had an easier time learning a 4 string G-chop.( and I am only modestly out of shape # )
    I would not sell my Tone-gard.

There are quite a number of previous threads that employ an almost equal number of spelling variations for "Tone-gard". A few doubters out there but I would suggest those players either:

A. have never used or heard an instrument with a Tone-gard

B. Do not ever touch their abdomen with the instrument (far easier to acheive if sitting)

The newer gold finish examples are gorgeous - one will be on my Christmas list!

I use a Tonegard and would not be without it. It does what it was designed for, "more volume"! Joe

is there a cheaper substitute out there?

Cheaper substitute, l-p_79, is .. always hold the mandolin so it doesn't touch your body ..

May or not be the most comfortable position...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Yes, some of us use them. Those who do use them generally love them. Those who don't use them generally don't love them.

I use them and love them. They allow me to focus on playing the mandolin, not holding it away from my body.

Best,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

Quote Originally Posted by (lespaul_79 @ May 23 2008, 01:28)
    There are basically two choices. The original Tone-Gard that sells for around $75.00 and the Taylor Tone Enhancer that sells for around $35.00.

I have both. The Tone-Gard is on a mandolin. The Tone Enhancer is on my desk.

Spend the money on a Tone gard, if not you don't like there should be no problems getting rid of it.

I've never used a Tone Gard so I've never done a side by side but I do have the Tone Enhancer and it works great. In fact I like it better than the Tone Gard (stay with me here!) for this reason: On my Gypsy I can put it on towards the rear or towards the front of the mandolin depending on if I'm standing up or lying down. I'm pretty sure you can't do that with a Tone Gard BUT I think that would not apply to F-Scrolls. My first line notwithstanding and the negative view generally expressed on the message board here (there are other threads), I can't see how the designs differ in functionality since the intent is simply to keep the back face of the mandolin free from the damping effects of your body. The fact that they are $27 bones at elderly.com didn't hurt in making my choice either. As they say YMMV. I think either one is good choice, all you have to do is compare the fuller sound you get when you play with your mandolin away from your body.

Correction/Update: The one I bought was $27 bones, they are priced $27-35. Sorry!

My Gypsy is an A with a little body.

Gypsy Renegade

Logic is a function of desire

Here are several pages of discussions on the Tonegard.

I use them on all my mandolins, highly recommended.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

It's one thing that is worth buying. Great improvement and if the one I had disappeared, I'd buy another.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Quote Originally Posted by (lespaul_79 @ May 23 2008, 00:28)
    Yes. You can use a viola shoulder rest. I do not know if it would be as comfortable as a Tone Guard, but it should help keep the instrument off of your mid-section.
    Bill Snyder

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Bill Monroe never used one. So "that ainīt part of nothing".

But frankly, to each his own. I know people that like them and would not be without them. And I understand their concept.

I - so far and for my part personally - am not convinced. But Iīm not easy to convince. And I donīt jump on the bandwagon quickly.

I think that holding your instrument a certain way does the trick of best sound and such too.
    Olaf

You certainly can get the same result if you're willing to hold your mandolin away from your body. The Tonegard simply allows the back to vibrate, no more no less. Holding it out machine gun style will do the same. Me, I'm too lazy to do that.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (TomTyrrell @ May 23 2008, 07:28)
    I have both. The Tone-Gard is on a mandolin. The Tone Enhancer is on my desk.
    Tom--

As mentioned in my earlier post I haven't had the opportunity to use both much less do a side-by-side--is there a sonic difference or does the Tone-Gard just feel better to you against your abdomen? Or is it something else?

"Curiouser & curiouser" Alice said.
    Gypsy Renegade

Logic is a function of desire

There is a fella in Locust Grove Oklahoma that welds up what he calls a "toneguard" which is similar to the original. There are several significant differences, which may or may not keep him out of hot water with Mr. P. These guards are fairly popular in northern Ok. Persomally, I'm holding out for one of the new square stock orig. gards in a silver finish. Maybee the Celtic knot. That souldn't be too Weberish to put on a Gibson, ya think? This guy in Ok. is a really nice person,plays good bluegrass bass and a pretty fair mando too. I just wonder about the legality. If anyone is curious, feel free to contact me. He sells for $50.
    Mike Snyder

I go to a local jam where there are usually 4 other mandolin players, one has a Tone-Gard on his mandolin the others do not. Sometimes the group gets a little too big (14-17 people) and it gets LOUD. I can hear the guy with the Tone-Gard clearly and I can barely hear the others.

I bought one a year ago and it has not come off. I don't play loud all the time but I can if I need to. I like that.

I will say if mine broke I'd buy another the next day.

This debate never gets old does it?? LOL

I have one on every mando & a custom one on my mandola. HIGHLY recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by (sgarrity @ May 23 2008, 10:43)
    This debate never gets old does it?? #
    That's why there are pages and pages of posts on the sunbject.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (emitfo @ May 23 2008, 09:52)
    As mentioned in my earlier post I haven't had the opportunity to use both much less do a side-by-side--is there a sonic difference or does the Tone-Gard just feel better to you against your abdomen? #Or is it something else?
    They both do the job they are intended to do. For me the Tone-Gard is more comfortable. My mandolin fits comfortably in the case with the Tone-Gard, it is a press fit with the Tone Enhancer and I don't like that. I could use another case but why compromise on that when I don't have to?
    The Tone Enhancer is really useful in showing people what these gizmos do. My people are surprised at how much better their lower-cost mandos sound with this thing installed. It is easily moved from mando to mando without any weakening of the metal.
    With these options available for so little money I see no reason at all to contort myself into odd positions trying to keep the back of the mando away from my body.
    BTW, I always play my jazz mando while seated so I have no need for one of these on it, yet.

A few other non-tonal advantages: 1) it helps keep the back of the mandolin from being scratched by shirt buttons, 2) it's a "ventilator" that makes the mando more comfortable to play on a hot, sweaty day, and 3) (my favorite) it helps balance the big peghead on an F-type mandolin, since it adds a little weight at the bottom of the body.

Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

Thank you every one for your input. #There is a new twist to my problem. While I would love to have one, I've been told because I have a spirit varnish finish on my mandolin it's not wise to put it one on there. However, from another source I've been told there should be no problems. Any input on this? Thanks.

Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case