Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watch the cma's

I tuned in twice for about two minutes. Both times there was a female artist performing. I didn't like either one's voice or song, but they were both incredibly young and beautiful. One of them even took a shower on stage with her clothes on.
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

I caught part of the opening act. Kelly Pickler? Singing "don't know my last name" or something like that. I got a quick glimpse of the banjo player and it looked like he had a 7 string banjo. 6 on the peg head and a 5/7th? string peg on the neck.
    Wonder what that was?
    Clif

I caught Montgomery Gentry.

Terrible.............

How can these guys be promoted by Nashville and sound that bad? I really don't get it.

Off-key, flat on notes,etc.......Just terrible. Not much more than a rock show really !!

Quote Originally Posted by (one-f @ May 19 2008, 13:38)
    I caught part of the opening act. Kelly Pickler? Singing "don't know my last name" or something like that. I got a quick glimpse of the banjo player and it looked like he had a 7 string banjo. 6 on the peg head and a 5/7th? string peg on the neck.
    Wonder what that was?
    Clif
    Wouldn't surprise me if Kellie Pickler didn't know her last name. Europe is a country
    Bill in Tennessee
    2005 Martin OM-28V
    2013 Stonebridge G22CR-C
    1994 Flatiron A-5 Artist

I cant stand to listen to these new country staions the singers cant sing or its pop. I love that old hillbilly music. these new country singers if you can call it that are terrible most cant carry a tune they must be relatives or know a bigwig in Nashville. Jams I go to have much better talent but they aint makin any money. and when did rock such as the Eagles become country ?
    ken froman

Quote Originally Posted by (mandoplyr70 @ May 19 2008, 16:50)
    ...and when did rock such as the Eagles become country ?
    And when did Bon Jovi 'go country'

Quote Originally Posted by (nashvillebill @ May 19 2008, 10:51)
    ...Wouldn't surprise me if Kellie Pickler didn't know her last name. Europe is a country
    LMAO! (Thanks for the link -- that is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.)
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Hot News Flash: mainstream commercial country music is not friendly to or interested in bluegrass or acoustic music. #Also, I believe that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow...

I remember Norman Blake saying a few years ago, that if he pulled out a mandolin in a Nashville studio, everyone looked at him as if he'd pulled a rattlesnake out of his case. #In the interim, there have been a few acts that have either made some kind of a "nod" toward bluegrass and "hillbilly" music, by releasing a single album of acoustic-backed, "roots" sounding songs -- or have actually made bluegrass-related acoustic music part of their overall sound (AKUS, Skaggs, Dixie Chicks etc.).

But to me, so much of what's called "country" sounds like '80's rock with a pedal steel or maybe a fiddle thrown in somewhere, and the lead singer with a Southern twang. #It's refreshing to hear a singer who has some knowledge and respect for the way it used to sound, but that's not the norm, IMHO.

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I tuned in for what I think was the first act, some girl who was wearing tight pants and way too much makeup. Her singing was un notable and the song sounded like stuff that's been around for years. I surfed in later and it was pretty much the same quality. Rather than risk hurling, I avoided that channel for the rest of the evening.
    '02 Collings MF5

Quote Originally Posted by (lovethemf5s @ May 19 2008, 18:04)
    I tuned in for what I think was the first act, some girl who was wearing tight pants and way too much makeup. Her singing was un notable and the song sounded like stuff that's been around for years.
    And that's different from old country music how?

Look, don't get me wrong, I love old country music. I grew up on old country music, I sing and play old country music but for as long as I can remember your description pretty much described most of it.

I caught most of it. Some of it was pretty decent. I have no problem with Sugarland's music or sound. I loved it when Garth called Reba "Miss Yearwood". You either like the new country music or you don't. You either like the old country music or you don't. It's pretty simple. I'm pretty sure every radio has a way of changing channels and most TV's have remotes.

I don't like all bluegrass songs. I don't even like all mandolin songs. I know this will come as a shock but I don't even like all Bill Monroe's songs.

But I do like music. I know what sounds good to me and what doesn't and honestly the CMA's had some good music mixed in with some stuff I didn't care for. If you watched part of one song you can say you didn't care for the part of that one song you watched but how is it that it was all bad if you didn't bother watching it?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Easy to get those American Idols mixed up. It was Carrie Underwood that was the opening act. Kelly came much later.
    I did like that girl that took the shower on stage while still singing. How did she hold that live mic and not get the Sxxt shocked out of her? Very little mandolin this year. NO bluegrass that I could find. I thought sure Allison and Robert Plant would dance across the stage.

Blog Entries

Seems that country music hasn't featured great instrumentals for some time, decades.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by (f5loar @ May 20 2008, 02:11)
    #How did she hold that live mic and not get the Sxxt shocked out of her?
    Assuming of course that it was indeed a live mic (didn´t see the show).....
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Mike.... There was no way I could sit through any more of this schlock than the few minutes that I did sit through. If this cheesy fare is your cup of tea, go for it.

'02 Collings MF5

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (mboucher @ May 19 2008, 17:05)
    After a $$$ successful collaboration with Sugarland. They have to put food on the table too!

Doug
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

I turned it on to check it out- not at the very beginning, and some not too wonderful group- not even sure who they were rocking away. My wife who was trying to read asks me, "do you like this music"? I had to be honest and say that I didn't realy care for it. Then she said " then why are you watching it"? I turned it off and read myself. Checked back later, and it was another mediocre act. Quickly shut it off. To me, country music goes through cycles. Anyone remember the urban cowboy thing? It seems to be in an urban/rock phase now as far as the Nashville-commercial stuff goes. There is still good music out there- you just have to look for it, and probably won't find it on a commercial country station. There are exceptions to this of course. In my humble opinion, there are really only two kinds of music. Good music and bad music. And what constitutes what is good or bad is up to the individual.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Quote Originally Posted by (mboucher @ May 19 2008, 16:05)
    They never went Country, Country has changed so that what they play in now considered to be Country.
    Country Music today is more like the Classic Rock/Southern Rock of the '70's. If you want REAL Country Music you have to look to Bluegrass.

I believe original Eagle Bernie Leadon was a fine banjo picker in several Calif. bluegrass bands. It was Bernie that got them started down that country road through his bluegrass roots. The others came up through Country Rock groups. From steel guitars to mandolins and banjos the Eagles have always had a country flavor in their music.
    Now Bon Jovi..... can't help you there. At least Kid Rock, Snoop Dog and 50 Cents didn't show up this year.

Todays Country has become the 'designated hitter rule' in music. Extending the lives of pop artists who should of step away from the game a long time ago.

Like George says 'Who's going to fill their shoes'. I miss the good country music.

Mark

It was absolutely horrible. I just can't stomach that "stuff". But I guess that's why I'm a bluegrass and old-time fan.
    For some real country music, get Kathy Mattea's newest called Coal. Now that is COUNTRY!

"If you want REAL Country Music you have to look to Bluegrass."

I think Bg actualy has many urban facets, and I mean early BG like Monroe. Real country music is Charlie Poole, Bob Holt and Sleepy John Estes. Stuff that came for relatively hetrogenious environments and really reflected small genuine rural communities that were connected by economic, social and geographic similarities is country. County ended when northern record companies and the Grand Ole Opry figured out how to make money off hillbillies.

The CMA's, IMO, have really been on a downhill slide for years. The music seems to be just a canned, formulated repeat over and over and over...Montgomery Gentry..please..Toby Keith...gag...the messages are moronic, pedestrian and just plain make me want to throw up. How this has denigrated into such drival is beyond me but that may indicate where the public's head is at. Pity. I use to enjoy country when Keith Whitley was around, Jones, Haggard, Chet,etc...but now...I just bypass the country channels as the lyrics say nothing and the music is three chords and all electric...gag...

"the messages are moronic, pedestrian and just plain make me want to throw up."

It's been that way for 40 years. How is "Fightin' Sde of Me" any different than jingoistic toby keith songs?

I read about some squirrely guy,
    Who claims, he just don't believe in fightin'.
    An' I wonder just how long,
    The rest of us can count on bein' free.

Quote Originally Posted by (lgc @ May 21 2008, 13:03)
    It's been that way for 40 years. #How is "Fightin' Sde of Me" any different than jingoistic toby keith songs?
    It isn't

The funny thing is that people can have a problem with a message in one genre and ignore it in another.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber