Thread: Washburn model 1915, number 22742, style 2435.

I've been looking at this auction that just ended. I haven't been able to find info on this specific model; anyone know anything?
    link: Washburn? 2- point
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I've been looking in Hubert Pleijsier's book on Washburns for the two point you linked to. #I believe the 1915 date is in error on the ebay listing, as both the model type and serial number appear to come from the '20s. ##He lists a model 2434 (but not 2435) and dates that model as originating in 1920. The rosewood back, and white binding around the headstock lead me to believe this is most similar to the later model E, according to Hubert's descriptions, which are fairly thorough. The crown shaped tailpiece on the 2434(5) gave way to the cloud shaped version on the E models. Washburn model F were also two-points but had mahogany backs and sides-and also the crown tp so the features seemed to blur across model types. The rosewood back and binding seem to be the defining traits.

Nice looking mandolin. #These Washburn two-points have started to become pretty attractive on the ebay bidding.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Interesting contact pickup. I googled "Brush Vibromike" and all that came up was a patent for an automatic knitting machine mechanism.

"Brush Vibromike"

Thanks guys. The 1915 seems to be a common designation on Washburn instruments, rather than a date. In my Google searching, I found 1915's in about everything BUT mandolins from Washburn, esp. guitars, but nothing to match this. I thought it looked interesting, but someone outbid me in the last 2-3 minutes while I wasn't looking. With the slight neck heel separation, I was uncertain about more than $300, anyway.

Mainly, I was just curious, as it doesn't look like the L&H Washburns, but looks more Vega-like. I didn't find any Washburns that looked quite like this.
    Wasn't really interested in the pickup, but wondered if a luthier might want to apply it toward the neck work. It's all moot, now, but I was curious about the model.

Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

This thread made me aware of a slight omission in my book. On page 81 (in the guitar section of the book) it is noted that the last two digits of the Washburn style numbers between 1905 an 1922 reflect the actual street retail prices of the respective models at the time. As prices in general were vere volatile (both up and down) between 1915 and the early 1920s, the style number found on a Washburn instrument could deviate from the number listed in the catalogs. This is actually a very common occurrence.

Though this statement was made with regard to Washburns in general, I did not reiterate it in the other instrument sections. Maybe I should have done that.

The 2435 in the Ebay auction is a typical example of this - but it's not a 2434 later upped in price, it's a fancier 2442 with a lowered price! I've seen one of these 2435s before.

As far as I know, the 2442 was not pictured in any of the L&H catalogs. A 1921 price list mentioned that the 2442 wopuld be renamed 2436 and (thus) sold for $36, the same price as a Martin Style BB mandolin.

Hubert