Thread: Cannonball adderley transcription

As I and numerous others have said before, the best way to learn a music style is learn how great players play by transposing and learning their solos. Here is an opportunity to do this.

On my web site, I have the first chorus of Cannonballs solo for Minority from the recording "Portrait of Cannonball". Since the solo goes out of the Mandolin range, I rearranged those sections to make them fit. I am learning to play this and have gotten the tempo to 200 BPM before I crash and burn. Hopefully I'll get it all the way to tempo soon (257 BPM).

Minority is in Real Book 1 on page 295. I will post more of the solo (5 choruses) as I get more done.

There is also a Sonny Stitt solo for Au Privave there as well. Enjoy!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Muchas Gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by (petimar @ Feb. 05 2008, 16:28)
    As I and numerous others have said before, the best way to learn a music style is learn how great players play by transposing and learning their solos. #Here is an opportunity to do this.

On my web site, I have the first chorus of Cannonballs solo for Minority from the recording "Portrait of Cannonball". #Since the solo goes out of the Mandolin range, I rearranged those sections to make them fit. #I am learning to play this and have gotten the tempo to 200 BPM before I crash and burn. #Hopefully I'll get it all the way to tempo soon (257 BPM).

Minority is in Real Book 1 on page 295. #I will post more of the solo (5 choruses) as I get more done. #

There is also a Sonny Stitt solo for Au Privave there as well. #Enjoy!
    Thanks for posting this. Looks like a catalogue of harmonic devices,
    anticipation, encircling of chord notes, tritone substitutions (Db over gm7b5),
    etc. Although I think some of these ines are harder to articulate on mandolin than on saxophone.

As for the didactic side, I think the most important part is the actual transcription. I've never played anything I transcribed, as I was eager to
    use my findings.

"Looks like a catalogue of harmonic devices, anticipation, encircling of chord notes, tritone substitutions (Db over gm7b5), etc. Although I think some of these lines are harder to articulate on mandolin than on saxophone. "

Oh yes, this solo is full of great jazz improv ideas. Even just this first chorus has got me doing things I never would have imagined. And, oh yes, horn solos must easier to play on horns than strings. However as jazz is a horn based improv sound, I never sound like my sound unless I play horn type lines.

You think this one is difficult, soon I'll post a Clifford Brown Donna Lee transcription.

"As for the didactic side, I think the most important part is the actual transcription. I've never played anything I transcribed, as I was eager to use my findings."

I have always learned to play my transcriptions, memorized them and at least attempted to get them to record speed. I find this really gets the ideas into my head AND hands, then I can quote them later when I think they will be most effective. AFTER I can play them comfortably, then I analyze why I think they sound so good.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music