Thread: Making An Archtop Guitar

Can anyone recommend this book? I've completed one mandolin, an F from scratch, and I'm working on two A's right now. After they are finished I was thinking of taking a crack at an archtop guitar. I've seen several builders' websites who build both archtop mandolins and archtop guitars. Are the construction techniques similar? Any huge differences? If not this book is there another you would recommend? Thanks for any input.

More than the book, the video set has been as big a help to me as anything I've had to work with. I learn more from watching than reading. He's the real deal, and though I don't buy everything he does,(glue on just on side of the board,for instance)there's a lot to learn here. Just watching him do the binding is worth the price of admission.

I do recommend that book, and frequently have on this board.
    Lots of good tips for building in general.
    I don't really build mandolins the way Bob builds guitars, and lots of other successfull archtop builders use different approaches, but it is definitely a good book that can lead you through a succesful attempt at archtop building.

I recommend both the book and the tapes without reservation. I was one of the first to buy the book. I got a phone number from some magazine,called,and to my surprise,got the man himself. Very friendly,wondered why I was calling him "Mr." Benedetto,and said he would mail me one from the stack that had just arrived at his house. I've read it over several times,and soon acquired the excellent tapes. Do what he tells you and you will have a fine guitar.

Jim

Jim Hilburn, Sunburst, and the man who got the first copy...that's good enough for me. My only gripe is that he doesn't appear to offer his instruction on DVD. It would be some trouble for me to convert from VHS. I don't even have any way to play VHS.

Thank you gentlemen.

I have looked over the Benedetto book and find it is indeed a good resource for information. It is not a complete and all encompassing work, and the plans are "examples" rather than complete plans, so you will have to do some figuring for yourself. Some one once described the book as 'Benedetto leads you deep into the forest'. He does provide a great deal of information, but still leaves some information rather thin. As far as archtop making guide, I think it is the best thing so far.