Thread: New video of  bernardo de pace  "mandolin wizard"

The new 3-disc release of the 1927 film _The Jazz Singer_ (just released today) includes a 10+ minute short titled "Bernardo De Pace: the 'Wizard of the Mandolin'," which is on disc 3 of the set. This is an old Vitaphone recording which was one of the first synchronized film and sound techniques.

I'd never heard of de Pace but he's an extremely accomplished mandolinist. The video is in two parts: the first half screens him in full-shot; the second half is filmed at a medium shot, so you can get a better view of his technique. Most of what he plays are Italian classical pieces, with some novelty tunes mixed in, and the final selection is all speed--it gives Emory Lester's "William Tell Overture" a run for its money.

The sad thing in this performance is that he's dressed in a clown costume, and has a plastered down wig. He also mugs a lot for the camera. It's a shame that someone with this much talent had to be packaged in what I take to be a degrading way.

If you can get over this, I recommend it.

I did a quick websearch and found an item about his grandson. At the end of that article in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, he talks about his grandfather having played command performances for royalty. I hope he was able to do this without the clown get up.

Ther is one cut of De Pace on Italian String Virtuosi, a compilation definitely worth having for the other cuts as well, including virtuosi Giovanni Vicari and Giovanni Giovale.

There are also a few cuts by the DePace Brothers on Global Village CD 602 L'Appuntamento - Italian Mandolin 1.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1