Thread: Ewob, nl, 41 bands, starts may 17th

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Thumbs up

Hi all,

the 10th anniversary of the EBMA´s European World of Bluegrass is up (www.ebma.nl). This renowned festival that will showcase 41 Bluegrass (and related) bands from all over Europe between May 17th - 19th will again be THE place to see pick and hear Bluegrass in Europe. It is being hosted at the bluegrass friendly town of Voorthuizen, Netherlands, about 1/2 an hour drive from Amsterdam.

A former post about the EWOB-festival was made here:http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/...=34959;hl=ewob

For most of you #folks in the US. Europe is just as far away as the moon concerning music. But should the chance arise for some of you to hop over here and take part in this event, be sure not to miss out.

I allways find it enchanting that after an eventless winter I am again able to meet people I haven´t seen for almost a year, check out new or used instruments, to pick myself next to numb on my guitar and mandolin with the likes of me and to share the experiences of similar minds, that like me are part of the small and scattered but hopefully growing and prospering European bluegrass community.

So maybe this post will be a stimulation for the faltering European music lover to finally get over his reluctance to participate in a world class music fun time.

And for any of you Americans, South Americans, Africans, Australians and wherever in this world bluegrass is being listend to, if you consider coming over to Europe, make sure to check the festival listing at www.ebma.org and visit some of the festivals listed there as they will enable you to take an insight into European culture from a different but truly enlighting angle.

I hope to see you down the road somewhere.
    Olaf

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Hey Grassroots, do you still have that funky Stradolin?? I have to "squeeze some golf balls" as Grisman says to get in shape if I want to play it!

Seriously folks, I can only add that if you haven't heard European bluegrass you are in for a pleasant surprise. It's not just imitation, there are lots of local elements in it from the different countries, sort of a bluegrasss-folk fusion, and a wider variety of sounds than you find at a typical USA festival.

The location is easy to find in a small Dutch town (see web page). See you all there!

Hi swampstomper,

sure enough do I have my Strad-O-Lin, and it is astonishing of what a great sound can come out of such an inexpensive box.

But, as the good fortune stood by me, I have had a mandolin made for me by Paul Duff, Australia and I wish to lean it heavily against some serious tone monsters at the EWOB-festival. Because it is not only a wonderful work of art but also a very fine sounding musical instrument.

My good friend Rupert who met Paul Duff in 1997 told me of his instruments and said he was the builder to watch. But as I did not want to buy sight unseen I waited. Then at the EWOB-festival 2002 I was in a jamsession with Massimo Gatti who at that time played a Duff F 5. There I had the good fortune to be able to compare the sound of his mandolin with not only my Strad-O-Lin of which I am proud but also with a very fine Gilchrist and a Nugget. This comparison made me order an instrument from Paul. The mandolin will celebrate its first birthday this May. So lookout there folks for some fun time picking.

Back to the EWOB and general mandolin content:

Writing this reply post I thought about what mandolins will be at the EWOB-festival and I think it will be a treat for all you folks out there. I will not disclose who is playing what instrument, just what instruments I know will be there.

There is going to be at least a Gilchrist F 5, a Giacomel F5, several Gibsons of different vintage, a very interesting Adrian Farmer mandolin (Adrian was building with Gibson, too), a wealth of first class czech mandolins (Lebeda, Capek, Holubek and what not). This alone should fire up anybody´s desire to come. On display and for sale might be Kimble mandolins, Gibsons, Lebedas and such. Last time there was a guy playing a Flatbush mandolin and it had a very distinctive sound. Just to make sure I have everybody´s attention, the EWOB-festival is not only about F 5 style mandolins. I have seen several nice A style mandolins there: several Gibson A 3s (different vintage), Gibson A and Ajr mandolins, A styles of unknown (to me) makers that sounded swell and of course the omnipresent czech A style mandolins that make an incredible value.

As far as the music goes, its variety is as wide as the cultural variety that is obvious in about 20 different participating nations. Boy would I love to know the czech and swede and finn language, as sometime the language barrier sometimes hinders to realy talk shop to some of these guys. It´s no bragging, these folks can realy pick some good bluegrass.
    Olaf

Do you see many Flatbush mandos over there. They are built by Victor Smith (I think the name is) out of Denmark.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Grassroots, you know I have that sweet, sweet Lebeda A5 which I need to bring in for a re-fret, I've worn them down to the bone in the two years since I bought it from Jiri at EWOB 2005.

Another fun part of this festival are the French guys with their Selmers and reproductions jamming on the Django tunes. They're very happy to let a wayward mando try his or her hand and will even call out the chords -- too bad (for me) they still use the Do-Re-Me system -- so when they day "Re mineur!!" I have think... Dm.

Mike, last year there were a few (3 or 4?) Flatbushes. I will probably be there again with my plumburst V4 and maybe Spencer (posting here) will make the drive south from Denmark again and show off his A.

Last year there were many of the best European mandolins: Vandens, Palses, Hogans and APFs.

Yes, swampstomper, the Frenchmen are way out there when it comes to gypsy jazz. Apart from the fact that they do not use the Nashville system to announce the changes the chord progression in these tunes are not so simple to play along with. Like in all musical genres you´ll have to be familiar with the tunes. What got my attention though was a conversation i overheard in whichtheir mandolin picker stated to Kevin Lynch that it is as difficult for him to play straight bluegrass on his F 5 style mano since he is not familiar with bluegrass´ rythmical structure.

What gets me is that you are able to go through a set of frets in just two years. You must have been squeezing golf balls a lot in that time then. It took me about 7 years to go through a set of frets on my Strad-O-Lin and I haven´t noticed any fretwear ever since the refret. I think this is an issue that arises when you press down the strings too hard (Steve Kaufman mentioned that point in a workshop and I agree).

Jeroen, I would really like to compare my Duff back to back with your Flatbush since I guess it was your mando that caught my ear - and eye - when you were jamming near the bathrooms.
    Olaf

Welcome anytime Olaf. I never played a Duff mandolin. Bring a toneguard for the Flatbush, to protect your liver.