Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here/my heiden

First post here, I figured it might as well be of my main mandolin! I'm pretty sure I got it in about '96. I went over to Michael's house with my dad (was about 11 then)just to look around with him. He showed us one that was half completed or so, and I made a comment that if I ever had one, I'd want it to be blonde. A while later, he called saying that the one we saw was done if I wanted to see it again and play it. Well, we go over to the house, and it's in the case, and guess what color it is. Well, my dad wasn't allowed to leave without it without crushing my soul, so here it is 12 years later, still being played all the time! It has a couple battle scars, but it's sounding more and more amazing each day still!! It's F-12, and I believe the first blonde F if i remember correctly.
    Anyways, enjoy!!!

and here's the back!

I am not able to view your pictures. What is the serial # on your Heiden?...Gary

Beautiful mandolin, looks like the bridge is out of line a little, could be photo magic.
    Very nice gift from your Dad, I'm sure he enjoys you playing it.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

It's a beautiful mandolin. You have a really
    great dad! All the best,
    Laura
    "With all those curves, there have to be strings attached."
    ™ - Cool Mandolin Company

http://www.coolmandolin.com
    http://myspace.com/coolmandolin

Thumbs up

Nice looking blonde. Never had the opportunity to play one of Michael's instruments ----- very--very nice. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Michael knows how to make 'em right. Make sure you send your dad a Father's Day card!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Great silking on the top. Nice mandolin and great story! I wish I got a Heiden when I was 11!

My question is - what are those funny looking flat things you used as a backdrop? It appears that you like them - there are a bunch of them back there.
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.

Blog Entries

I wish I had a Heiden when I was anything! Great story, great looking mando. Treasure it.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks everyone! The bridge is bang on for the into to be right. It was slightly out for years, so the top has a tiniest tan line on the bass side. My dad is of the "might as well have a good one" camp when it comes to instruments, luckily this was before the price exploded waaaaaay up to where they are now. It's serial number F-12.

Ya, I dunno about those things I've got filling that shelf. They say they have songs on them, but they don't fit into my computer. Any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by (Wesley @ Mar. 08 2007, 10:13)
    My question is - what are those funny looking flat things you used as a backdrop? It appears that you like them - there are a bunch of them back there.
    They look to be about 12" sqaure, about the size of a wall calendar. #

Blog Entries

You can shoot em with a shotgun after someone tosses them in the air. Easier to hit than those littler ones I see "tough guys" shooting.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks for the pics. #She's a beauty. #I have F-82, the first lefty F now almost 2 years old and it is of course a peach. #Michael makes fantastic instruments

Doc

F-82, eh? The numbers are getting pretty high!

It should also be noted for any checking out specs on these, that I had it at Micheal's place about three or four years ago, and he took out the frets on the extension and scalloped it. He also engraved the tailpiece and changed the bridge adjusters from nuts to thumbwheels.

Love that back. Well, and the front, too. It's a beaut.
    '...heaven is a Kentucky of a place'

Great to see some of Michael's earlier work here. And yes indeed, what a great father you have, John. Although my purchasing history is very different, my experience with Michael and one of his creations is very similar. I bought my F68 in 2003 and it has only just returned to me from Canada after its first 'tune up'. A few local luthiers had mistreated my 'baby' on several occasions and from now on, any required adjustments will be made by Michael himself, despite the hassles of getting it over there from here in Australia. Everything on my #68 is flawless. From the spectacular wood grain to the perfect varnish. The neck is super comfortable and the instrument sits nicely balanced on your (my) lap. I am not yet able to take full advantage of its capabilities, a bit like driving an Aston Martin in second gear only. The great thing is that I don't have any reasons to upgrade and I can concentrate entirely on my playing. Have a look at this picture, a work of art, don't you agree?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04__11.03.05_Clifton_Gardens.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	22164  

Another one from a different angle.....

Name:	03__26.10.04_Clifton_Gardens__2_.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	22166  

8strings, very nice mando!! I'm kind of wanting another these days, in a beautiful burst like that. Oh wait, I just checked my bank account....... Shipping it from Australia, eh? Quite the trip for the lil' guy! I'm in Vancouver, so it's a little closer to get him to take care of it. I also have a great repair-man at the store I work at, so any tiny tweaks get done by him, anything big is Michael.
    Do you have a picture of the back of your baby??

Yes, I do and here it is. I look at the back of my mandolin like a picture by Picasso. Whenever it is time for a break and a hand stretch I turn the mandolin around and I explore the changing directions of the grain, still discovering new subtelties. I think that my mandolin 'enjoyed' the trip over to Chilliwack, the change in weather and the snow. New instruments require some time to settle and this 4 year maintenance set-up was greatly appreciated both by the instrument and by myself. I could not have asked for a more intuitive and supportive luthier from which to adopt a mandolin like this.

Name:	DSC01204.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	22209  

The neck is something else as well, both in aesthetic and functional terms.

Name:	DSC01205.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	22210  

... One more with its much older 'sister'.

Name:	03__26.10.04_Clifton_Gardens.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	22211  

Very nice!!! Good to see the pride of Chilliwack being enjoyed all over the world! I like that back! Hard to beat! I'll post a picture tomorrow of my heiden with it's older gibson sister too. Very nice combo. Mine is missing that little curly-que though

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (JEStanek @ Mar. 08 2007, 14:11)
    You can shoot em with a shotgun after someone tosses them in the air. #Easier to hit than those littler ones I see "tough guys" shooting.

Jamie
    I see you have NGDB! Don't shoot that one!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Great to see the lovely pictures of Michael Heiden's creations....old and new. I find it interesting to hear of one of these little Canadian mandos now residing in Australia. I own Heiden #36 which I just love... it has a lovely woody chop and plays oh so smoothly. But the first mandolin I was fortunate enough to purchase (when they were relatively cheap) is Gilchrist #203... the first one to be made with an Adirondack spruce top. I'm a Canadian who went the Aussie route first. Both are wonderful mandolins, with very different voices and created by amazingly skilled artists. I am lucky to have spent time with both builders in their home workshops and observe the blood, sweat and attention to the smallest details that go into turning wood and wire into a beautiful musical instrument. Not only are they gifted luthiers but both men are terrific people as well.
    Aaron Burnett