Thread: Loar-Era F4 at Christie's

Browsing the listings at Christie's musical instrument auction in NYC on May 16, I noticed the following description for Lot 15:

GIBSON MANDOLIN-GUITAR COMPANY
    A MANDOLIN, STYLE F-4, KALAMAZOO, CIRCA 1924
    Labelled Gibson Mandolin Style F-4/Number 75677

No photo unfortunately. Price estimate of $3-5k sounds a bit low to me.

Elsewhere in the auction, there's a 1918 K-1 mandocello (Lot 38) .

Their price estimates are typically below actual selling price. I think the strategy is to tempt people into participating in the auction by making things seem affordable.
    Bob DeVellis

Yeah, also have to keep in mind that they tack on an additional 20% "buyer's premium" above and beyond the hammer price - so the F4 you might win for $5k actually costs you $6k.

OK , first post. I noticed on ebay, this weekend, in Boston, there's an auction that has more teens Gibsons than you can shake a stick at. Yes the prices do seem low but given the number of pieces and the 22.5% premium I'm wondering if it may deter the usual ebay frenzy. They also say they run off over 100 lots an hour! so the bidding must be fast and furious. Is this place the motherlode that dealers go too. Any feedback? I've started picking on a 30's Strdolin after a 25 year layoff after nearly cutting off the middle digit on my left hand. Back then I had a sweet '10 a model and would love to get another???

Tom, this has been discussed recently, when the listings were first put up (you can do a search on 'skinner' to find the threads). This quote should answer your question:

Quote Originally Posted by
    "Things at the skinner auction have been selling for much more than expected in the booklets I've seen from their site over the past few years. They move alot of really high end instruments. What some people spend on a single violin bow I wouldn't spend on three mandos! Those auctions are the real deal."
    Germain

Watch out for this batch. I played all the mandolins and mando cellos that are offered for sale. One mando cello is ok-I would not bid on the others. For example, the Black faced F4 has top sinkage. One mando cello has a big crack down the side. Even the D'Angelico I wouldn't spend 3k on. Instruments like these need a shop to fix them up and players be forewarned. Rich Michaud
    Richard Michaud

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Hi RIch-

I checked them out today and thought the F2 wasn't bad... What was your opinion of that one?

P.S. My real problem now is I'm hooked on a fiddle and a bow that I tried at the Tarisio auction viewing across the street from Skinner.
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

A "sidenote" - not mando, but food-for-thought ; I saw/read this in the latest Vintage Guitar Magazine re: Christie's Auction - pic of a "clean" 60's Les Paul/cherry finish - est. @ $100-130K! - underpriced...!? - overpriced..!!? - ya' gotta' work a lotta' GIGS to pay for THAT one!# - I seem to remember(yeah, I'm old!) - it went new - at the time(60's) for $495-$595 - check an' see if ya' got one under yer' bed - or in the garage..!? - now back to mando-land. Moose.

My understanding from Christie's Auction is that the "The Hammer" stradavarius sold today for $3,052,000-now that is a hefty price for a small instrument.. The Wayne Henderson guitar sold for $31,200, and the "HERMANN HAUSER SR.
    A CLASSICAL GUITAR, REISBACH, 1948" sold for $180,000.00.
    # # I was happy to buy the 1924 F4 for a much more modest price.....

Richard Michaud

What kind of Henderson guitar was it? A brazilian D-45 I assume?

Christie's description of the Henderson is as follows:
    4,000 - 6,000 U.S. dollars
    Pre-lot Text THE FOLLOWING LOT IS SOLD TO BENEFIT THE WAYNE HENDERSON MUSIC FESTIVAL INC.
    Lot Description WAYNE C. HENDERSON
    A GUITAR, RUGBY, VIRGINIA, 2005
    Inlaid with mother-of-pearl at the peghead Henderson, and branded internally W.C. HENDERSON/RUGBY, VA/327, length of back 19 in (483mm) with original case (2)
    Richard Michaud

Regarding the 'As Is' condition of the instruments at Skinners' auctions. I went out there several years back and had a very nice private interview with their Fern Loar set for an upcoming auction. It needed work, but they were of the opinion that the buyer should decide whom should do that. Not an unreasonable policy.

Actually, the the hammer price on the Strad was $3.15 MM (highest ever paid for a musical instrument -- at least at auction), the Hauser was $150,000 and the Henderson was $26,000. The Les Paul went for $160,000.

Dane-we are saying the same except I am adding the premium which the buy has to pay (20%)(the percentage may be slightly different at the higher numbers). My information came from Chistie's. #Rich

Richard Michaud

I should add that I heard today from Ellis at Heritage that as a result of the Strad at 3M+, others hiked their insurance coverage of their fine musical instruments.The market appears to continue to climb. Rich
    Richard Michaud

True, Rich, except on the Strad, where the hammer price was $3.15 MM and the addition of the buyers premium brought the total to $3.544 MM. Amazing price, especially given that the previous record was down around $2 MM.

Question to LOAR SCHOLARS-As to the F4 that I bought from Christie's-the serial number is #75677. The Mandolin Archive shows that Loar signed an F5, #75675-two numbers earlier on 2/18/24 and also signed at least 18 more F5 Loars on the same date, #75689 to #75709. Can I conclude that my F4 is dated 2/18/24 as well? Second, how did an F4 wind up serial numbe wise in the middle of all the Loars re. serial numbers and date? Any input will be appreciated. Rich
    Richard Michaud