Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northfield vs. Gibson F5G

Default Northfield vs. Gibson F5G

Has anyone made this comparison yet? I'm wondering about getting an Englemann Northfield, maybe to replace the F5G. Would any of you consider this? Love bluegrass, but play a lot of Americana and even some rock oriented stuff.

Default Re: Northfield vs. Gibson F5G

Hi Tim,
    Played both. I much preferred the Northfield. They are boutique quality instruments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timsound View Post
    Has anyone made this comparison yet? I'm wondering about getting an Englemann Northfield, maybe to replace the F5G. Would any of you consider this? Love bluegrass, but play a lot of Americana and even some rock oriented stuff.
    There was a thread, including a audio comparison on that exact topic last week. I did not add up the responses --and they varied -- but I think most favored the Gibson for it more full and complex tone and better projection.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

4. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    There was a thread, including a audio comparison on that exact topic last week. I did not add up the responses --and they varied -- but I think most favored the Gibson for it more full and complex tone and better projection.
    The audio comparison is actually between a Kentucky KM1000 and a Gibson F5 Fern. Nonetheless, there's a lot of good information on that regarding Northfield. Of course, read through the main Northfield thread if you haven't already.

In short, I've never played a Gibson "G" that I liked and I've never played a Northfield that I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Well... a Northfield 'Big Mon' with all the premium goodies should be here in a week or so. I'll report my impressions and record a couple of tracks once it has settled in.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Well... a Northfield 'Big Mon' with all the premium goodies should be here in a week or so. I'll report my impressions and record a couple of tracks once it has settled in.
    Niiiiiice!

Why would you get an Engelmann anything if Red Spruce was an option you could afford? This is truly my honest opinion if all things are equal. An RS top with a good maple back is a great combo in general.

And now, let the bombs rip folks!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

10. The following members say thank you to dcoventry for this post:

I'm very much looking forward to your review, that will be a nice Christmas present.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoventry View Post
    Why would you get an Engelmann anything if Red Spruce was an option you could afford? This is truly my honest opinion if all things are equal. An RS top with a good maple back is a great combo in general.
    But I'm not sure all things are always being equal, especially when it comes to people's taste and what they hear in their instruments. For a more 'modern' sounding instrument, Engelmann may be a better choice over RS. And doesn't Englemann have a more 'played-in' open sound out of the gate compare to RS?

Congrats, and very much looking forward to your usual thorough and detailed review.

Blog Entries

The one arriving is in fact 20-year cut Red Spruce.

However... Englemann is a very, very nice wood. Quite a lot of 'pop' but with creamy undertones (I'm beginning to sound like a cookery recipe here). Very fine mandolins can be made from Red Spruce, Englemann, Sitka... cedar... you name it. They all have their individual properties and I don't believe there is a universal 'best'. I have an pretty rare D-28 from the 50's which I am pretty certain has an Englemann top (they did use some in that period, but it was not documented as no-one considered it important at the time). It is one of the best D-28's I've ever played, and I include a fair number of 'bones in that. I think it works beautifully on mandolins, too.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Folks, OF COURSE construction and understanding of the wood available is paramount.

In my considered and LIMITED opinionated view, I have been drawn towards RS and maple. As odd and NOT classically BG as my tastes run, whew, I like the headroom of RS and the sweetness of say...big leaf maple or even hard maple depending on the tone desired from the back plate addition. BUT, the top plate generally comes back to RS in mando AND guitar.

My generalizations come with a grain of high end sea salt so big the price will kill you before the high blood pressure.......like the RS topped Gibsons........haahahahahahahahahahah.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

16. The following members say thank you to dcoventry for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dcoventry View Post
    Folks, OF COURSE construction and understanding of the wood available is paramount.

In my considered and LIMITED opinionated view, I have been drawn towards RS and maple. As odd and NOT classically BG as my tastes run, whew, I like the headroom of RS and the sweetness of say...big leaf maple or even hard maple depending on the tone desired from the back plate addition. BUT, the top plate generally comes back to RS in mando AND guitar.

My generalizations come with a grain of high end sea salt so big the price will kill you before the high blood pressure.......like the RS topped Gibsons........haahahahahahahahahahah.
    You don't make any sense at all.

If they are the same price i would go for the Gibson everytime. The "G"s I've played tend to much lighter in weight then the regular F5/Fern which many times will translate to better sounding. The guy with Ronnie Reno's band has a "G" with killer tone and sound. I see lots of pros out there with the "G's" not so many with a Northfield.

19. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Blog Entries

Part of that, I'm sure, is that there are a lot of F-5G's out there. They've now been around a while. There's still, I think, only a couple of hundred Northfields out there, world-wide, in total, and they have only been around for two years. So by that measure alone, you are not going to encounter many. I certainly agree that some F-5 G's sound great. I've played a couple of real nice ones. Only ever played one Northfield to date, but under less than ideal conditions, and not for long enough to form any real conclusion - though initial impression was very positive. We'll see.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

21. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I am of the other mindset with Gibson. I just picked up a new F5G about a month ago and the work that Gibson is sending out now is in my opinion the best I have seen from Gibson in the last 20 years. Buy Hey, I hope that this new Northfield is a monster and blows your socks off !!! Happy picking.
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

23. The following members say thank you to Bradley for this post:

Blog Entries

I totally agree about Gibson's current work. My Dave Harvey, post flood, F-5 Fern is an absolutely incredible mandolin. I have played (original) Loars I liked less. I chose it after playing it side by side with an older DMM. I preferred the Fern. It's that good. The Northfield is coming a) To satisfy my curiosity and b) Because I know someone who has already told me they'll have it if I decide to pass it on.... so can't lose, really.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

25. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    You don't make any sense at all.
    I get that a lot.

But if read sloooowly, it makes a easy sense. Really.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    If they are the same price i would go for the Gibson everytime. The "G"s I've played tend to much lighter in weight then the regular F5/Fern which many times will translate to better sounding. The guy with Ronnie Reno's band has a "G" with killer tone and sound. I see lots of pros out there with the "G's" not so many with a Northfield.
    Yeah you mean that young fella with the black hair? He is a heck of a picker and seems to be able to do just about anything he wants to -- I need to find out his name one of these days. How come Ronnie never plays his Loar anymore on the show -- I wonder?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

28. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

I've played and owned both; I had Northfield #73 and I currently own a Gibson F5G. They are both fine mandolins, but the Gibson wins "hands down" in the sound department, in my opinion?
    Thanks for your support?

30. The following members say thank you to northfolk for this post:

I'll take one of each please.I'm dreaming now,but it sure would be nice to own both.

32. The following members say thank you to Frank Farley for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by northfolk View Post
    I've played and owned both; I had Northfield #73 and I currently own a Gibson F5G. They are both fine mandolins, but the Gibson wins "hands down" in the sound department, in my opinion?
    Interesting. How would you describe the differences?
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Blog Entries

I like the traditional 1-1/16” nut, V shaped neck and RS top. I have many mandolins that I have owned to compare with, and I consider it the mandolin for me. It is high quality and signed by David Harvey. I like the videos I have seen of the Northfield. Their sound is a bit more modern and it is a beautiful tone. I just happen to like the Gibson specs, really low action (no buzzing) and great playability! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A67B8308-D87E-4AB2-AA73-81EE93783077.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	910.1 KB 
ID:	203660

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

One of the reason looking hard at an Eastman 815/v is the Adirondack spruce top.

36. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post: