Thread: Peat Fire Flame, solo mandola

Default Peat Fire Flame, solo mandola

Here's a solo arrangement of the traditional Scottish tune "Peat Fire Flame," performed on my Pomeroy mandola. Thanks for listening, hope you enjoy it!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Colin Botts For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Peat Fire Flame, solo mandola

This is one we play a lot around here, Colin, but I have never previously heard it at your chosen fast tempo. You give the tune a whole new perspective as an instrumental piece, and I enjoyed your change of octaves and the varying textures in your playing. I found myself trying to fit the lyrics in to it, but unsuccessfully. Here are the lyrics of the chorus:

By the light o' the peat-fire flame,
    Light for love, for lilt o' laughter,
    The light the hill-folk yearn for.

I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Beautiful, Colin, one of the best renditions of this tune. As usual, I'm going to try to learn your version of it, and hopefully won't butcher it too much! Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    This is one we play a lot around here, Colin, but I have never previously heard it at your chosen fast tempo. You give the tune a whole new perspective as an instrumental piece, and I enjoyed your change of octaves and the varying textures in your playing. I found myself trying to fit the lyrics in to it, but unsuccessfully. Here are the lyrics of the chorus:

Light for love, for lilt o' laughter,
    The light the hill-folk yearn for.

Haha, yeah, it's not really singable at my crazy tempo. I think I was possessed by those frenetic slides and polkas from Kerry when I played this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMaantay View Post
    Beautiful, Colin, one of the best renditions of this tune. As usual, I'm going to try to learn your version of it, and hopefully won't butcher it too much! Cheers.
    Glad you enjoyed it; it's certainly a cracking tune! My girls just learned it and love playing it on the fiddle! Have fun with it! Thanks!

Interestingly punchy! I recorded this song about 30 years ago, at the more typical, leisurely tempo, after learning it from a book inherited from my Glaswegian grandpa. I’m thinking now maybe I’ll relearn it and try the speedier variant as a tag at the end…thanks for the idea.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Interestingly punchy! I recorded this song about 30 years ago, at the more typical, leisurely tempo, after learning it from a book inherited from my Glaswegian grandpa. I’m thinking now maybe I’ll relearn it and try the speedier variant as a tag at the end…thanks for the idea.
    I imagine it's a lovely tune no matter how it's played. I should probably give it a go at a slower tempo. Have fun with it; thanks for listening! Cheers!