Thread: Where do I find Mandolin music in NYC?

Default Where do I find Mandolin music in NYC?

Clubs, bars, schools! I know Andy Weinstein plays at Birdland at time. Chris Thile just played with Vulfpeck. Who else?

Default Re: Where do I find Mandolin music in NYC?

Do you mean Aaron Weinstein>
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

That guy’s cousin

Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

Check Andy Statman's website. Seems like I remember his group playing weekly in NYC.

Mona’s on Monday Nights

Blog Entries

Rockwood Music Hall, 196 Allen St. is probably the most likely place of catching something mandolin. It's in the Lower East Side, just off Houston Street so easy access if you take the East exit at 2nd Avenue on the F train (get on the front of the train and avoid the crowd--if you're coming from Uptown direction). Michael Daves is a regular there, Jacob Jolliff at times. Stopping point for various touring groups.

Catching Andy Statman and the Charles Street Synagogue is an absolute must, but check his web site because due to Covid times he hasn't been there as much and doesn't appear to have anything scheduled there at the moment, but it's an experience to not be missed and you never know who might be in the audience. Andy has been making regular appearances at Barbès in Brooklyn quite a bit of late, 376 9th St., Brooklyn.

Rockwood Music Hall is also close to TR Crandall Guitars and they have pretty amazing mandolins at times. Retrofret isn't far from there by train in Brooklyn, also a stop that's more than worth the effort.