Thread: Moving mandolin care

Default Moving mandolin care

Hey everyone, looking for some suggestions regarding my move from Massachusetts to South Carolina in July. I have 8 mandolins, 2 guitars, a hammered dulcimer, and 2 mountain dulcimers to transport in my mini van. Taking 3 days to drive down. Will have A/C while driving and will make every attempt to park in the shade when possible. I’ll loosen all the strings beforehand and most everything will have its own case, mostly gig bags. Any other precautions you’d recommend?

Default Re: Moving mandolin care

Henry--some simple humidification in the gig bags/cases may be helpful, along with the precautions you've already mentioned. Perhaps even placing those instruments with gig bags in larger sturdy boxes to help prevent damage from any sudden stops or cargo shifting that could occur.

Be careful and welcome to the South!

My guess is humidification will not be needed. The air will likely be plenty humid this time of year.
    As much of a hassle as it is, taking all of the instruments inside wherever you are staying each night is by far the best thing to do. It helps prevent theft as well as keeping the instruments in good temperature/humidity conditions.
    In the car during the day, keep the instrument cases packed tightly together, cover the instruments with blankets and so forth. The more mass you have concentrated in a small area the longer it takes for the sun to heat it all up. Heading south this time of year can make for a challenge keeping instruments from overheating.

4. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Nevin 

A security guard?
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Playing on the porch

If not done so already, I'd look at a short term insurance policy that would cover unexpected surprises.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1928 Ernst Heinrich Roth violin

I keep a mover's quilt in the back of my Honda Element, to spread over instruments I may be packing on overnights, etc. Provides insulation and camouflage. A Mylar "space blanket" will also reflect radiant heat, which is going to be your main threat driving south in the summer.

The advice about taking all instruments inside to your motel room (if you're staying in motels) is good, but I must confess I often leave instruments in my car overnight. Between tinted windows and the quilt, they're not visible to the casual passer-by, but out-of-state license plates can attract smash-and-grab thieves. I usually feel the best protection is being just another anonymous car in the parking lot; helps to have an 11-year-old "hooptie" with a few dents and scratches.

Not that I'm recommending you "distress" your vehicle before making the trip...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM