Thread: Compensation for Artists on Instructional Websites

Default Compensation for Artists on Instructional Websites

Does anyone here have an idea what artists who create courses for instructional sites get in compensation. Is there a usual percent of net or gross, or an up front payment?

I assume that sites where the artist is engaged in providing feedback to students have to pay more. I would be more interested in sites where the artist creates the content and then is done.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Default Re: Compensation for Artists on Instructional Websites

So, a standalone course without additional potential help and feedback, or even basic error correction? In addition to sites like Truefire, you also have the world of DVD lessons.

I can't speak about all distributors of instructional content, but often there is a payment to the content creator for use of the material, plus royalties based on sales of materials. Some distributors also purchase the copyright, or pay for the material as a work-for-hire, and pay nothing further to the creator.

Although it's most probably unintentional, I like how your second paragraph's phrasing implies that because artists get paid more to provide feedback, you prefer to use sites where the artists don't provide feedback... because they then get paid less. *laugh*

3. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

DougC 

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

You may very well not get an answer, as it would be a brash question IMHO, but both Happy Traum and Stefan Grossman have been quick and amenable to corresponding with me in the past about this or that ... but I've never asked for any financial details about their businesses!

You might give it a whirl. Those guys are still with us for now, and they both have great experiences to share about themselves, about the music business, and about many of our heroes.

My assumption would be with Explorer, they'd get paid for the studio work + some royalty scheme on the sales perhaps.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    Although it's most probably unintentional, I like how your second paragraph's phrasing implies that because artists get paid more to provide feedback, you prefer to use sites where the artists don't provide feedback... because they then get paid less. *laugh*
    I'm exploring a business model that will probably not give feedback. My intention is to pay fairly.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

There are several ways to price this type of business. Either look at what you are going to make from the service and calculate based on what you can afford to fairly pay them. Or pay them the equivalent of what they would make giving private hourly lessons, less the cost of the delivery system you are providing. Once you offer a few folks spots you will quickly find out what others are paying, either way.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    I'm exploring a business model that will probably not give feedback. My intention is to pay fairly.
    Check with Denis Chang who owns dc-music school. He may be willing to share some insight into his business model.

I asked around and one source said "advance their studio rate against royalties of 15% of wholesale."

In case anyone else is interested.

9. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

Blog Entries

My informed guess (from talking in general terms to people involved) is it's a balancing act between cutting into the teacher's one-on-one lesson opportunties, at a higher rate of return, and reaching a greater number of people. Look at your time, your fee, and do the math. Then discount what you or somebody would want for the web programming, hosting and back office work processing credit cards and managing membership

Depending upon who you are as a teacher, it no doubt cuts different ways. Plus you get a more regular income stream, and ongoing payments from people who sign up but don't really utilize the service. I have a subscription and have subscribed to different services. They've all been good value for a good product, each with a different spin on presentation. Some months I don't have time to look at it at all. My credit card still gets debited. : )
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

If your studio or teaching fee is advanced and the rest of the royalties are gravy, isn't it a no brainer?

12. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I would think so, Jon.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando