Thread: Strings?

Default Strings?

I have looked at old post on strings. I have found post on brands of string, how often to change them, but nothing on how strings affect the tone. Being a newbe and have purchased a used mandolin, I don't know what strings are on my instrument. I have thought about replacing them just so I know that is the tone I want. I'm playing bluegrass and a little bit of old country. I'm looking for a woody or bassey tone. I guess I'm looking for an explanation on string tone (light to heavy, flat wound, ect.) thanks for any help

Default Re: Strings?

Each mandolin in different and strings effect them differently. I would simply try different strings each time you change to see what you and your mandolin like.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Strings And Picks, the point, and the material makes a big difference as well the thickness and flexibility. I like thicker picks stiffer picks and use a looser grip but even grip can change the tone. I have several different points and switch depending on mood or the song I want to try. What mandolin do you have?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

5. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

D’Addairio EJ 74 or 75, or GHS 270 are good places to start. Bright and punchy, with a good bass response for chopping. Monel works well for BG as well, but is maybe a tad less bright. Flatwounds have a rep for great feel and tone, but not as much volume, typically, and are probably favored more by non-BG players. That said, you can play BG on any of them, and it’ll take some experimentation to find out what sounds best to your ears on your mandolin. Good news is, except for the flatwounds, strings aren’t expensive. The flatwounds (like Thomasstik Infeld) do last a lot longer, so factor fewer cha gets into the price if you go that route.
    Chuck

7. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I found a very lightly used Eastman 515.

9. The following members say thank you to Eric "Trapper" G for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yes , do enjoy some different string choices . There is a perfect set "out there" for your style and instrument. D' Addario is a good place to start looking. As pointed out above string gauge and pick choice make tonal differences. As does the material and gauge strings are made from. There are also coated strings that some folks need and or prefer. I do recommend starting with a .11 -.40 set to begin toughening up your fingers. Enjoy R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

11. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric "Trapper" G View Post
    I found a very lightly used Eastman 515.
    CES gives very good advice earlier in this thread. For bluegrass on an arch top with f-holes, most people will recommend medium strings. You might prefer the reduced tension of lights as a newbie, and some instruments are built to handle heavies, but the majority will run mediums like the D'Addario EJ74 or GHS A270 sets. Alternative metals include 80/20 bronze (which I find brighter with less overtones and more susceptibility to corrosion) or monels (which I find warmer with less overtones and less susceptibility to corrosion). Flatwounds feel great on the fingers and seem to last better than most, but some feel that they deaden tone and reduce volume, making them suboptimal for bluegrass. My advice would be to replace the strings that you inherited with a standard medium (like EJ74's), and then once you have established that benchmark, experiment with alternatives until you arrive at the best compromise for your instrument and your ears. Good luck!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

I've found the type of strings have less effect than their being new. Put new strings on a mandolin that has old worn out strings and it will sound dramatically better. Put different strings on a mandolin will have a smaller effect.

No string will make a mandolin exceed its limitations. You can get what it has to give with a good setup. If you have access to a competent tech, get a setup. If not, get Rob Meldrum's free e book and do it yourself. A 515 is a great place to start your journey, and if you stay out of high end shops, could last you a long time.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have tried many brands but I am pretty much settled in with medium GHS A270's and Curt Mangan Bluegrass Series 11-15-26w-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I've found the type of strings have less effect than their being new. Put new strings on a mandolin that has old worn out strings and it will sound dramatically better. Put different strings on a mandolin will have a smaller effect.

No string will make a mandolin exceed its limitations. You can get what it has to give with a good setup. If you have access to a competent tech, get a setup. If not, get Rob Meldrum's free e book and do it yourself. A 515 is a great place to start your journey, and if you stay out of high end shops, could last you a long time.
    I have a neighbor that told me to buy the best you can afford. So I shopped for about nine months and found this Eastman. I had it set up by a well known mandolin player/ luther in the area. I've also recived Rob's book and will try my hand at it next time. All total I have $650.00 into it. I'm very lucky that my neighbor plays guitar and his wife plays fiddle. The last three months we have been playing about two to three hours a day twice a week. I've recived some good advice here (MC) and play daily. I have found that different picks make a big different in tone. After reading these post I have ordered D'Addario EJ74 to get a benchmark

Solid instrument as I understand it. I have never played one myself.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Excellent instrument. My “beater” is a 315 that impresses me every time I pick it up. If you’re playing that much you may find that EXP 74 or 75s will last you longer. I’m a fan of Elixir nanowebs for guitar, but have been underwhelmed with their 80/20 mandolin strings (which I bought a half dozen of during an Amazon clearance event, Doh!)...
    Chuck