Thread: Setup guide?

Default Setup guide?

I just bought a 2002 collings MT, but it's not quite right. There is some buzzing on multiple strings. If I raise the action it helps a little, but I am thinking I might want to tackle a full setup. Is there a guide out there I can trust? I can find a LOT of resources on the subject, but it's hard to know if you're getting good or bad advice.

Default Re: Setup guide?

PM cafe member Rob Meldrum and he will send you a guide for free. Lots of rave reviews on here about it. You could do a search for Rob too, it should come up.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Awesome, thank you!

Rob's setup book is invaluable, but on a 2002 mandolin, you could have fret issues that are not covered in a basic setup. That mandolin is worthy of a pro setup which might include a fret level. I have never had an instrument that didn't benefit from a fret level. It's the difference between good and exceptional action.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

More thanks due to Rob Meldrum who so generously shares his wonderful setup knowledge for free. Many grateful thanks, Rob

It's my pleasure. Instead of a PM, please email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com and put Mandolin Setup in the subject line. It's much easier for me to reply and send the ebook…

Rob

Dave Sheets

Just another word of thanks to the generosity of Rob Meldrum. A class act, that man.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments