Thread: Saga Kit Build

Default Saga Kit Build

Got this kit for christmas and had a blast finishing it up. The end result is playable and looks descent from 10 feet away :-) Learned a ton in the process. Really enjoyed doing the burst with leather dye. The tru oil finish was very forgiving, but i rushed it a bit. Never rush the finishing process. I have several instruments that are half built, so the goal was simply to get it playable. Happy to answer questions if folks have them.

Enjoy:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/v9qkJixJoeR54PjK9

2. The following members say thank you to Aquatoad for this post:

Default Re: Saga Kit Build

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saga-kit-mandolin.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	175424

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walnut-headplate.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	5.68 MB 
ID:	175425

Nice job! I really like the burst and the headstock figure looks great. How does it sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Puck View Post
    Nice job! I really like the burst and the headstock figure looks great. How does it sound?
    Thanks! Sounds like a mando! I’ll post a video once a) I get the action at the nut lower and b) get it in the hands of my friend who knows how to play mandolin :-)

Well the nut is still a little high and I haven't found a real mando player. But here's what it sounds like:
    https://youtu.be/BjaqNYsAUyc
    Last edited by Aquatoad; Mar-22-2019 at 4:19pm. Reason: Video embed not workin

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Great job! Any flaws in the finish don't show in your pictures, but if you're really not satisfied with it, you could always refine the finish. Or just leave it alone as your first effort.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.